"Actually Matty, it's not up for discussion, I'm driving because of those of us here who are old enough to drive I'm the only one who's sober. Now say your goodbyes and let's go."

"What does she mean Matty? You said we were coming with you." His pet blonde whined.

"Two problems with that" I began to explain. "Firstly, if the four of you get in the car the luggage is staying behind as there is no way all that" and I waved my hands around indicating the four of them and the mass of bags. "Is going to fit in there." This time I pointed to the tiny boot of my gran's car.

"And secondly didn't Matthew" I saw him bristle as I called him by his proper name; I laughed a little as he glared at me. "Didn't Matthew tell you he was visiting his gran? So obviously there was no way she would allow you to stay with them in her house." I was starting to enjoy myself far too much, I was horrified at how easy I had fitting into the role of condescending bitch.

Realising I had a very valid point Dom quickly removed the girl from under his arm, threw his bag in the boot and dismissively waved to his concubine as he claimed shotgun and dashed into the passenger seat next to me.

"I don't like her." The girl still attached to Matty said a little tearfully.

"She doesn't care" Matty said chuckling his admiration for my meanness, it was like I could see a light-bulb above his head suddenly illuminating as he worked through his exit strategy.

"And that's my sister you're talking about" He snapped a little harshly. "I think it's time we left." He didn't even bother to wave goodbye he slipped into the backseat and quickly closed the door.

"Let's go Alex, and put your foot down." He ordered from his relaxed sprawl in the back. I had wasted enough time and didn't need to be told twice.

We'd been in the car for only five minutes and the twins were already arguing over what music to listen to on the radio. I had taken an executive decision and turned it off. After 20 seconds of awkward silence I began to regret my choice.

"So Alex" Matty began, "Stuart tells us you're heartbroken."

"Smooth Matty" Dom chastised. "What he means to say is that Stuart told us what happened between you and that cockney lad, he said you were really upset. So how you doing now?" He patted my leg in an attempt to show his support. His concern had caught me by surprise and I could feel tears welling up in my eyes, I blinked them away quickly and swallowed hard several times trying to regain my composure.

"Oh shit, she's not crying is she?" Matty asked horrified from the back seat.

"No, she's fine." Dominic replied shutting him up, he smiled sympathetically and gave my knee a little squeeze.

"So what's new in sunny Spain?" Dom asked smoothly changing the subject.

"All much the same, the odd new face but that's about it."

"Anyone worth a shag?" Matty asked hopefully.

"Well Jacob's fifteen year old mate might be just your type; he's about the right age if current form is anything to go by." I joked sarcastically but neither boy seemed to appreciate my humour.

"Yeah you're not funny; you know exactly what I mean." Matty snapped back

"Unfortunately I do, and since when have I been your scout?"

"You haven't answered the question."

"Erm Matty, I thought you had a serious girlfriend these days."

"HAD, being the operative word" Dom said smiling, Matty continued the story.

"She was just too clingy, I was suffocating." I wasn't buying any of his excuses

"Tell her what actually happened." Dominic said laughing. "You'll love this." He added

"Well, we decided to take a break for the summer and see how we feel then." I knew from his nonchalant answer there had to be more to the story than that.

"You're missing out all the best bits" Dom cut in, "Here let me tell her, so basically, she flipped out when Matt told her he was coming to Spain and she wasn't invited, then to add insult to injury he suggested they take a break so he's free to compete in the 'Summer Shag-fest', oh and Alex he actually used those words." He was laughing so hard he had tears streaming down his face by the end of the story.

"Definitely clingy, I mean how unreasonable of her." I chuckled at him as I looked in the rear view mirror at Matty's oblivious, innocent expression.

"Hey listen, perhaps you should take a leaf out of our book." Matty advised. "Not that I'm advocating you participate in the competition or anything but it may be an idea if you moved on, met someone new." I shook my head fiercely, the thought of being with someone else made me feel nauseous.

"Actually Alex, Matty might be right. What about Adam?" Dom suggested. "You and him have always got on like a house on fire. Christ, I think I always thought you'd end up with him anyway." I began to speak but he cut me off.

"Just think about it, don't rule anything out, that's all were saying." It was a bit surreal getting relationship advice from my commitment shy, arrogantly promiscuous brothers.

"Thanks for your concern and advice, but me and Adam, yeah it's never going to happen. No offence but I think of him as a brother, more so than I do the two of you."

"No offence taken, we think of you more as a taxi-driver than a sister so it's all good." Matty laughed from the back seat as he lounged with his legs stretched the full width of the car.

The rest of the journey flew by as the boys argued over which identical twin was the better looking. They discussed tactics for the competition against the Mckensie boys and made plans for that night. As soon as we pulled up outside the cottage, Gran came rushing out embracing the two of them.

"Looking sexy, Gran." Matty said cheekily as our gran kissed him.

"Did you expect anything less?" She said unfazed by his comment. "Put your bags in your room and come get some refreshment, we'll be in the garden." She instructed

Within an hour Gran had fed and watered us. The McKenzie boys had arrived ten minutes after we had gotten to the cottage and the rules were laid out for the annual rivalry over a beer. I listened to them and shook my head in disgust whilst I waited for Adam. The plan was for us to take a walk into town and see what had changed since last year. Despite my best efforts to sneak Adam off before he could get captured by the lads, they still managed to call him into the garden and engage him in an awkward conversation about whether he should make a move on me. I could stand the embarrassment for less than thirty seconds before I dragged him out the house. I could just hear the conclusion of the conversation, and much to my brother's annoyance both of the McKenzie boys had offered to stand in for Adam if needed.