"Cece, please, I know what I did wrong. I've had months to think about it. I wish I could tell you why I did that, but I can't lie to you. I needed to figure things out and where my life stands."

"What does that have to do with you leaving without telling anyone?"

"Jesse..."

Cece was having none of that. She pointed a manicured finger with a glare. "Don't even pin this on him. Iris, you still don't have a good legitimate reason for what you did. I don't care if you had done that to me, but I cared that you gave him hope and squashed it." Her voice lowered to show how upset she was, and how much she cared about him. I have never envied their friendship like I did now.

I cast my gaze down and murmured, "I guess now he knows how it feels, right?"

"So, this was revenge?"

I suddenly came to my feet from the voice that spoke behind me. When I turned, I stared at Jesse. His unexpected arrival sent a turmoil inside me, and I tried to grasp how much he had heard, but it was enough because my last words had somehow made things worse. He stared at me with a cold hostility, his feet slightly spared apart. Unable to endure his gaze, I pinned my attention on the grey blazer he was wearing, my heart hammering in my chest.

"I see," came another murmur from him. Before I could grasp his words again, he was already slamming the door on his way out.

I stood there rooted to the spot until Cece cried out, "Go!"

I sprinted out of the office, but I could not see a glimpse of him, so I rushed out of the hospital. When I saw him, he was already driving away before I could reach him.

-

Jason was not happy to see me.

He slammed the door on my face. When I knocked for the second time, Kelly opened the door. Unlike her husband, she was happy to see me.

I returned her hug and let me inside.

I forced a smile and found Jason seated on the couch, his leg crossed over the other as he furiously stared at the tv screen. He ignored us while Kelly offered to get me something to drink, which I was quick to decline. I didn't come here to eat or drink anything. I came for my brother. I sat beside him, but he scooted over to the end of the couch.

"Really?" I threw the rhetorical question, but he didn't budge. Kelly sat on the arm of the couch, her arm wounding around her husband's neck.

Kelly looked at me. "When did you come back?"

"Last night," I answered, then Jason made a sound of disbelief. I glanced at him. "Are you seriously not going to look at me?"

My brother shrugged. "I'm supporting my best friend."

"Like the million times since I've known you," I shot out. "Now, can you please support me for a change?" I didn't scoot closer, but my voice dripped with remorse and a plead.

He finally glanced at me and demanded, "Why? So you can turn around and throw dirt on his face again? I'm not going to get behind that, Iris." Jason looked away. "If you're here for Jesse, you might as well go back."

"Where is he, Jason?"

"No, Iris! You don't get to come back here after what you did and ask for him," he fumed, the anger radiating on his face. "For years, I've never involved myself or supported either one of you when you were fighting because I knew you were both in the wrong. This time, though, it's your fault. I won't let you hurt him again. No matter what he's done in the past, you didn't have to have to pretend you cared for him. You didn't have to play with his feelings so you could have your revenge. Congratulations, you had your revenge, but at what cost?"