Kyo toki-sei: Tenku no shi (part 1)

It’s almost the end of the 71st era…An era of Shadow and Light.

Years passed by and the floating city of Synchronicity slowly orbited above the countries, high up in the air. How the city managed to float in the air was a mystery. Many believed that there was a gigantic tree which contained mysterious powers, it was said that the tree emerged from the ground, tearing a few hectares of land along with it and slowly rosed into the air.

The cold fog coiled around my feet as I trampled in the deep layer of snow, leaving a trail of foot prints behind me. I had been running for no more than five minutes, my warm breath frozen in the coldest day of winter, as it escaped from my burning chest. The weather was getting harder to bare, I was only wearing a black sleeveless shirt with a yellow bodice singlet underneath and only a cardigan to keep myself warm, which was definitely not doing a great job. I could’ve wore something warmer but that’s all I’ve got and I’m on the run, so I didn’t have enough time to dress smart. My grey skirt over my worn out black tights weren’t even doing a great job either.

I’m just a homeless teenager, who just ran away from the orphanage that I’ve been living since I was three. The military soldiers were coming after me. To save himself and the orphanage, the owner had sold me out to the soldiers that came to hunt for me. I indeed had no choice but run away and the military force is on my heels.

Gunshots and dog howls filled the air. The iceicles shivered thrething on  the snow dipped trees. The ground trembled and the snow pounded heavily on the ground as the ground shook. The soilders were getting closer; their tanks ran down trees as they got closer. Everything went blurry; I’d lost my footing and fell flat on the snow. I had no time to bawl about my grazed knees and yank myself upwards. It was too late. The sound of foot steps and tank engines were getting louder and louder. I was soon surrounded by tanks, trucks and men armed with hounds and guns.

I spat out snow from my mouth and tagged free the electric rod that was strapped on my left forearm. It was the only thing my father left me when he left me at the door step of the orphanage and only weapon to defend myself.

I’d embraced myself and extended the rod to it’s full length, my hands wrapped around the buttons. The rod pulse to life, throwing blue sparks at both ends. The sparks didn’t shock me; I was wearing electricity resistant fingerless gloves, so the electricity wouldn’t even bite me as I held on to the rod.