Job Offer

You took a bite of the sandwich you made in the morning, enjoying the delightful moment under the cloudless blue sky.

"How is your relationship going between you and that big guy? You've been talking to him since a week ago. I expect good news." Your roommate smirked while taking an apple from the picnic basket.

You nearly choked on your sandwich. Although you two had been gossiping about the neighborhood, you certainly did not expect her to ask you about your social life.

"W-what? Ugh...... good? I suppose?" You had been talking to Luca on the phone for a few days. You attempted to invite him for a drink or two occasionally, but he seemed busy since he has been declining the invitations.

"What do you mean by good? Oh, and, tell me more about him, hun! How does he look? I ain't approving him if he ain't handsome!" She giggled.

"Well, he looks fine......I mean, he has this purple-colored eyes, blonde hair, his muscular built torso, and some uh......tattoos on his neck? I'm certain that you saw it after I-" You glanced at your roommate and noticed a puzzled look on her face.

"Wait......hold on, hun, hold on." She closed her eyes and thought for a brief moment. You were as confused as her.

"You said that big guy has tattoos? Are you sure? Tattoos? And blonde hair?" She lowered her voice and asked in a serious tone.

You nodded as you recalled the image of him.

Your roommate's mouth was wide enough to stick a whole apple in. "What...?" You did not understand why she was acting this way.

She covered her mouth, wondering if she should tell you the truth. "Ok, come closer. I'll tell you, hun. Cause I'm your best friend and roommate, okay?" She said while bringing herself closer to you. You nodded and made some space for her to sit next to you.

She cleared her throat and whispered next to your ear. "So uh...... You know there's the...... mob, right?" You bobbed your head while trying to understand what she meant.

"Do you remember that old guy on tv who has crazy tattoos and light-colored hair?" Your roommate gave you specific hints.

You put the pieces together and it all formed into a full picture at last.

"Oh, Jesus......" You stared at your roommate in shock.

"That's just my guess." She returned to the opposite corner of the mat.

"But, we're......friends! What do I do now?" You frowned.

"I'm not sure, hun...... I don't think you should get any closer to that guy...... Did he say something odd to you?" She leaned forward and raised the question.

You thought back to the strange subject Luca asked when you invited him for a drink.

"Don't tell anyone, okay? He asked me whether I know there was a warm jewel or something like that. I don't know what it means......" You spoke softly.

The confused look on her face appeared again. "What? Well, if they're finding something, it must be expensive, you know? They do things because it pays bills!" She exaggerated the word expensive and pays bills during her speech.

"I mean I'm gonna retire now if I find it." She joked. You two burst into laughter.

"But seriously, finding things is a detective's work, yeah? Don't you think he is using you for information?" She questioned. You shrugged.