... And you must be our son's girlfriend?

Start from the beginning

Lana smiled. Somehow, the thought of this was awkward and comforting at the same time. „Thank you! That's really sweet of you. But I'm a big girl, I'll be fine, don't worry about me!"

Indeed, she was usually not shy in whichever type of social situation, and she'd like to think of herself as a likable character who had no trouble making new friends and connections, but a weekend at his parents' place, including a barbecue party in his honor, with all his siblings, their families and some of his old friends, was quite something else. The chance that there was at least one person among them who was dead set on disliking her, no matter how charming she was, was disproportionately higher.

Once they had landed in Atlanta, Jordane's older brother Donovan Jr. was already waiting for them in the arrivals area to pick them up. He raised his hand and smiled when he saw them pull their suitcases through the sliding door. A tense smile was plastered on Lana's face, who was desperately trying to forget her last surprise encounter with Donovan a few months ago.

„Hey, buddy! How's it going, welcome home, Mr. Hollywood!", he hugged his little brother tight and patted his back. Then he turned to look at her, grinning. „Hey, Lana! Almost didn't recognize you with all those clothes on!"

Jordane poked him in the ribs and hissed. „Cut it out, Donovan! You promised me to be nice and leave her alone. Besides... you're just jealous, that's all."

„Sure I am. Can I still give you a hug... sis?"

She shrugged with a smile and hugged him. „Good to see you again. Regardless..."

„Likewise! So... may I take your suitcase, Milady?"

Thankfully, he was being a gentleman for the remainder of their drive home to the Christie residence. Jordane sat in the back with Lana so he could hold her hand and give it a comforting squeeze every now and then, while he chatted away with his brother.

They walked around the house and right into the backyard where there was already quite a crowd of people gathered, along with balloons and a sign spelling ‚Happy Birthday Jordane'. She could feel how excited he was to see his family, most of them he hadn't seen since Christmas, half a year ago.

There was a lot of cheers and yells and laughter and a lot of hugs all around when they saw him, and for a moment, no one was paying Lana any mind, who stood somewhat awkwardly on the side, not wanting to interrupt the family reunion. Then, someone tapped her on the shoulder and she turned around.

„Hey... Lana?"

„Yep, that would be me!"

„Hi! I'm Shannon, Jordane's big sister", she said with a broad smile and pulled her into a warm hug, „You don't mind the hugging, do you? Sorry, we're a hugging family."

„Oh, no worries, mine too! It's so nice to meet you! Jordane's had told me so much about you."

„Likewise! And oh my God, you're even more gorgeous in real life than on TV, I swear!", she gently pulled on her arm, „Come, come! I'll introduce you to the family. And you have to tell me what Rita is going to do to Alma!! I can't wait until the next episode, I watch every week", she whispered conspiratorially, „... and not just for my dear brother, but don't tell him that. Gosh, I'm so excited I get to meet you, this is so crazy! I mean, you're sleeping with my baby brother!!"

Lana chuckled, flattered, but also somewhat uncomfortably. „Yeah, I know, it's... pretty crazy."

„Lana?"

She turned around when she heard Jordane yell her name, then saw him reach out his hand for her. She walked over to him, and he put his arm around her waist, pulling her close, before announcing with a proud and happy smile: „Mom, dad... meet Lana. My girlfriend."