𝐢𝐢𝐢 : 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥𝐬 𝐨𝐮𝐭, 𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐢𝐧

JUNE 1989: In the distance, settled on a crosscut of the Penobscot River and Kenduskeag Stream rests in the Town of Derry, Maine.

Several Multi-Acre, manure filled sheep pens stand empty. One has 50 sheep ready for slaughter, a path leading from the pen grows narrower as it feeds into an industrial complex designed for slaughter.

A farm worker pushes one of them forward. A Sheep. Big and bleating. Looking right at us. A Stun Bolt gun enters the frame. Inches from the Sheep's glabella. Also known as 'that space between your eyes.'

VOICE (O.S.): Pull it, son.

Mike groaned as soon as he heard the voice; his grandfather meant well, but the continual comparison of him to his dad bothered him.

The screen shows, Leroy Hanlon. He is in his 60s, but he appears much older. Working every day of your life will do that to you. And he's the Hanlon in - Hanlon Abattoir.

It's his grandson Mike that holds the Stun Bolt Gun. Leroy describes Mike as 'soft'. Because of reasons like this:

LEROY: Go on now. Pull it.

Mike's hand shakes. Nerves getting to him. His grandfather takes the gun and shoots the sheep, the Sheep bleeding-out. Leroy then throws the used-up bolt in a bucket, then hands the gun to his aide.

Those who loved animals teared up. How could he do that to the poor sheep?

LEROY: Here, reload it. You need to start taking more responsibility around here, Mike. You're dad was younger than you when he took –

MIKE: I'm not my dad, okay? And I don't want to do this.

LEROY: People need to eat.

MIKE: But how would you feel? Raised for food...

LEROY: Like I'd want you to get it over with is how I'd feel...Remember what I told you? You gotta do this quickly. If the animal senses what you're about to do, if it starts to fear you, adrenaline courses through its body and changes the taste and the meat winds up tough. Look at me, son. Look at me! 'Cuz you need to understand something. There are two places you can be in this world. You can be out here like us or you can be in there, like them.

Leroy points to the other Sheep. Lined up and waiting in the Slaughter Pen for their turn with the Stunbolt.

LEROY: And if you waste too much time hemming and hawing, and someone else is gonna make that choice for you. 'Cept you won't know it, til you feel that bolt between your eyes.

He walks away; his aide raises the gate so another sheep can be slaughtered.

The screen changes to Derry Middle School, Doors fling open and rowdy 6th, 7th, and 8th graders spill out into the halls. Books are hurled in the trash, lockers emptied out, papers strewn all over

Hermione, the Ravenclaws, and other students who place a high value on books and education are appalled by what is happening on screen.

At school, Bill and his friends, Eddie Kaspbrak, Adira Stone and Richie Tozier, walk out of a classroom.

Bill Denbrough, Handsome and gangly, a boy straight out of a Sally Mann photo, still haunted by the memory of his little brother.

Eddie Kaspbrak, a boy abnormally small for his age, his inhaler holstered in his medicine-filled fanny pack;

Richie Tozier, a video game and television obsessed freak with bug-eyed glasses;

Adira Stone, the adoptive orphan with a sharp tongue and a pocket full of sweets.