Chapter Six

You sure pushed your luck with Wanda.

For the rest of the day, she didn't even look at you. All the orders came from other people, all the tasks were given by email. She barely stayed in her own office, her schedule busy with meetings, and you had to pretend you weren't paying attention to it.

Nat found your lack of concentration amusing, remarking to her wife that if you carried on like this it would be interesting to witness Wanda firing you.

When the work day finally ended, you tried to ignore the urge to go and knock on Wanda's door just to say goodbye and accompanied your friends to the business district.

You and Steve needed clothes for the convention, and Bucky, Maria, and Natasha were happy to judge your attempts at choice.

"Rogers, I think you should try something blue." Nat commented from outside the fitting room. The two of you had been trying on clothes for a few minutes, and neither had found anything that fit. "To match your eyes you know? Yelena taught me about those things."

Steve just muttered from behind the curtains, accepting the dark blue suit his friend picked up for him.

You were in an almost personal dilemma. You had tried on a few outfits, and even tried on a short-cut dress that made you feel completely awkward, and now you were in your underwear facing the mirror, doubting if you were even going to go to a party at all.

"Y/N, honey, can I come in?" Maria asked from outside, and you sighed, not taking your eyes away from the mirror to agree. "Hey, did you pick something out?"

You denied crossing your arms over your stomach. "I don't feel right in a dress, but I don't want to wear jeans, and I just can't wear shorts at the party. That's too hard, I'm not going anymore."

Hill gave a soft chuckle, thoughtful for a few moments.

"We can try some other things..."

"She could wear a suit!" Steve spoke from the fitting room next door, and you felt your face light up as if the idea was the brightest of all.

"Steve, you're a genius!" You returned high to your colleague next door. Moving to find exactly what you had in mind.

Several minutes later, you were leaving the store with more bags than initially planned, but at least everyone was satisfied with their purchases.

Nat and Maria suggested you guys go to the night market, and you were more than excited to for some street food.

–//–

"[...] And then he told me that you were dating a girl from the office and I thought it was a joke, because as your best friend you surely would have told me."

Wanda smiled awkwardly at Monica's words, the phone pinned between her shoulder and ear, as she stirred the delicious mixture that should be her and the boys' dinner.

"Mon, I'm sorry, okay, it's a new thing. Actually, I don't even know if it's a thing." Wanda retorted. "I didn't tell you because I don't know what it means, and well..." The redhead looked back, checking to see if her kids were distracted enough by the cartoon in the living room, lowering her voice to clarify, "I didn't want to go around blabbing about who I was having sex with. You know I'm not like that."

"I know, but you can also tell me stuff, Wanda." Mon insisted, sounding a little bit hurt by the whole thing. The red knew it was because the other had the impression that she didn't share anymore, and she's was probably right. "In fact, Pietro said it was the same girl from two years ago. You didn't mention you still had feelings for her."