Chapter Two

Wanda was not in a good mood.

She cleaned up the whole apartment, put her cell phone on silent, and tried a brief guided meditation session that would take her thoughts off a certain employee.

Breathe through your nose.

The washing machine made a low sound - she clenched her jaw - and it was as if she couldn't ignore your clothes in there. It was washing away your smell. The smell that Wanda wasn't going to forget anytime soon. The fact that she even got to the taste when she-

Opening her eyes with a loud grumble, she gave up meditating. What time was it anyway? Had she really spent the whole day ignoring her unfinished business? What was happening to her?

Getting up, she finally checked her cell phone and frowned at the number of missed calls.

Dialing her ex-husband's number quickly, she waited for him to answer:

"Oh, you finally decided to remember you have a phone!" The male voice mocked angrily. Wanda ignored the teasing.

"What did you want, Vis?"

Vision gave a short laugh on the other end of the line. "I had a small emergency, I needed to get back to the company and-"

"You left the boys alone?" Wanda cut in indignantly, but the man just let out another chuckle.

"Of course not! I'm not a completely irresponsible father, you know." He retorted. "But I'm very surprised that you're worrying now because I tried to call you at least fifteen times and got no answer."

"I was busy, and it's your weekend, so don't try to blame your lack of interest in spending time with your children on me." She retorted between teeth. "Now tell me, who is taking care of them?"

"Well, I called Pietro of course, he was the only one available." Vis returned and gave a soft laugh. "He hasn't heard from you since last night either. What is it, Wanda, are you finally bringing one of your lovers home?"

Wanda laughed humorlessly, rolling her eyes. "That's none of your business, and we're definitely not going to have another fight about this matter. Don't bring the boys home too late, they have school early tomorrow."

"As you wish dear." Vis returned wryly, and Wanda bit her lips to keep from cursing at him, then hung up the cell phone.

Well, it was time to get back to the real world.

//–//

Across town, you were in the bathtub.

The water was getting cold, but you made no mention of moving, your knees against your chest, your hands hugging your legs and your eyes fixed on the whale drawing on the tile.

You heard someone come in, the door slam, and Yelena's voice followed, and then you recognized Natasha's. That was many minutes ago, they were talking in the kitchen, but the television was off and you knew your roommate was updating her sister on you.

How you arrived only in the morning, hair ruffled and hickeys on your neck along with tears in your eyes. How you stood in the shower for forty minutes and then had cereal for lunch. And after hours locked in the bedroom with headphones on, you said you were going to use the tub for a while to clean your head.

A soft knock made you take your eyes off the tile to the door, and a worried-looking Natasha Romanoff appeared in front of you.

"Hey."She greeted, and you wanted to cry again, but only shrank further into the water.

Nat sighed softly and closed the door as she entered and approached to sit in the corner of the tub.

"Do you want to talk about it?" She asked, and you shrugged, pressing your arms against your legs. "It's just that I'm curious because Yelena told me that you didn't sleep here last night. And well, I'm sure our boss said she got you home safely."