Chapter 31 - Relief

On Thursday morning Jack had been given the all-clear from the consultant to go home, having recovered the infection and with his scars healing well. His parents had stayed in Manchester for the five days he had been in hospital and had headed over to his flat that morning to give it a spring clean and to stock up the fridge and cupboards ahead of his return. 

Lucy, meanwhile, had managed to secure a last-minute day of annual leave under the guise of catching up with an old friend; the next Premier League game not taking place until the following Monday evening. It meant she could get to the hospital early and help Jack prepare for being discharged. Frustratingly, she had only managed to grab an hour with him for the previous two nights after work, the time speeding by as they chatted and giggled and cuddled up on the bed, before he had quickly tired and nodded off in her arms. The doctor had told Jack he would feel fatigued for a while yet, and to not fight his delicate state in his haste to recover his fitness.

"Nothing strenuous for six weeks or so," the doctor had warned, "not even lifting heavy kettles or bags - your scars and muscles need time to heal." Jack had rolled his eyes, sighing gustily and running his fingers through his hair.

Despite the prospect of slow progress, Jack was bright and eager when Lucy arrived at the hospital on Thursday morning. He was gingerly shuffling around the bed, attempting to pick up various belongings he'd managed to scatter across the room during his stay.

"Morning sweetie," Lucy greeted as Jack hugged her enthusiastically. "How are you feeling today?" she squeezed him gently around the waist, conscious he was still pretty sore.

"Much better now you're here," Jack whispered huskily into her ear, making Lucy quiver. She wondered if there would be a time when he didn't make her quiver.

Lucy leaned into him and kissed him softly on the lips, Jack meeting her with his tongue. It was delicious. Reluctantly, she pulled away, knowing she would struggle to relent if she allowed herself mere seconds of succumbing to his advances.

"Have you had your breakfast?" Lucy asked, motioning for Jack to sit down on the bed while she packed his phone charger and iPad away.

"Yeah, Weetabix again," sighed Jack, "I want a fry up, but the nurse keeps asking if I've opened my bowels," he rolled his eyes, "like I'm a cupboard or summat."

Lucy snorted with laughter. "That's nurses for you! Obsessed with bowel movements."

"Yeah like, I told her I'd hardly eaten anythin' for days," Jack grumbled, "which is hardly my fault. Then she made me take a laxative! The cheek, man!"

Giggling, Lucy joined him on the bed and pulled him to her, kissing him on the cheek. "Bless you. It will take a while to recover...I'll just make sure to put you in the en suite and I'll take the main bathroom, OK?" She poked him gently in the side.

Jack's eyes lit up. "So ya comin' back to mine, to stay like?"

"Of course you silly sod! I'm not leaving you on your own in this delicate state." Lucy took Jack's hand and rubbed his warm skin with her fingers. "You need some TLC."

"Ah that's good, 'cos me mom and dad are heading back to Brum today."

"Are you going to spend time with them and see your sisters?"

"Yeah, gonna spend a few days at home and once I can get up and about a bit more I'll go down there." Jack furrowed his brow and turned back to face Lucy. "I really want ya to come as well, like stay for a bit? Meet me sisters? Hollie's dying to meet ya!"

Lucy smiled, her heart feeling warm. She had spent the last two days processing Jack's declaration of love for her. She felt like she was sixteen again, her head giddy with hormones, her body feeling light and fluttery and she floated through the corridors at work, safe in the knowledge that somehow - still - no one else knew, apart from Stones and Walker who had been too distracted by Jack's illness and absence from the pitch and training ground to concern themselves with his relationship with Lucy. She didn't want to think about how to deal with the situation. She wanted to lap it up, her own feelings for Jack intense - almost suffocating. Tara had quizzed her at length about it, excited for her friend, with Lucy saying "I know it sounds mad and cliched but honestly I've not felt this way about anyone before." She hadn't.