𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

Start from the beginning

The four-year-old came waddling out of the office with the stuffed bunny in her hands. As she came closer to Miss Aiko, Miss Aiko picked the girl up and placed her on her lap.

"Let's make a promise, okay?" A hum was heard.

"Come to me whenever this happens, I'll help you okay? And then later on we can tell the police-"

"No! N-no...no- T-then I'll h-have no mommy. No! D-don't want."

"Okay then, only if it gets out of hand. But until then, I will heal what I can. But if I can't, I'll figure out another option, okay?" The girl nodded and they sealed the promise by linking their pinkies together.

Flashback end

"Wow, you still kept your word to that promise we made 12 years ago." I let out a hearty chuckle watching a smile form on Miss Aiko's face. She pushes a strand of h/c hair behind my ear.

"Of course, sweetheart. I made a promise and I won't break it- I mean until I become old and eventually forget- then yes, I will keep my word." I sigh in relief and grab my apron from behind Miss Aiko while also wearing a mask.

"Well, since I'm here. I might as well help out."

"You sure dear?"

"Yes, Miss Aiko," I reply to Miss Aiko while she adjusts the straps of my apron.

"Well, you know where I'll be, tell me or the others if you need something or want to take a break." Her figure faded down the hall until it was blurred but not before she put my f/v/c handbag behind the counter. I make my way to the pantry and stock up some of the ingredients.

Oh. We need to buy ingredients soon, I'll tell Miss Aiko later. I thought while writing down a list.

A head emerged from behind the pantry door, Asami. She stared at me before asking.

"Wanna help me out? We have quite a lot of orders." I nod my head and follow her to the room in front of the pantry. We arrive in the kitchen and I see a list of orders written down.

"I'll do the top 7 orders while you do the bottom 2, and after that, you know what to do."

"Yup! Just bring it to the customers." She ruffles my hair as I try swatting her hand away.

"I missed you so much," I let out a 'Hmm' in exchange. "I hope that never happens to you again, we were crying our eyes out, Tadashi and I. When I walked in and saw the state you were in, I fainted," Asami chuckled while making an order of blueberry pancakes.

"There was blood almost everywhere in the living room. Though I fainted in your room, from what I heard the ambulance took me with you and placed me on a nearby chair," Asami sighs.

"It was unexpected. Well, let's forget about that! We're done with the first few orders, you can give them to the customers," She then hands me a small piece of paper. "This is for the table numbers, though you probably already know that." I nod my head. "The off you go!"

I exit the kitchen carrying a tray with a meal for table 2, a stack of chocolate-chip cookies with 3 muffins and 2 banana smoothies. I make my way to table 2 and keep my face stoic. I face the people sitting at table 3 and place their orders.

"Please let me know if you need anything else." My voice came out a bit muffled out to wearing a f/v/c mask. As soon as I said that, I heard giggling.

"Will do!" One of them said a girl around the age of 6, with 2 low green pigtails exclaims. Another answer I received was a grunt from a boy around the age of 10, he had black hair and it covered his right eye to the bottom of his chin.

"Thanks. Kero." Was another response directed to me? It was a girl, probably around my age, maybe a frog quirk. She had a long tongue that popped out now and then. I quickly gave a curt bow before handing the other customers their orders. Hours pass, and the sun starts to set. I wave goodbye to Miss Aiko, Asami, and Tadashi before getting my bag from behind the counter and leaving the shop without my f/v/c mask and apron.

I sprint home, not wanting to miss out on an episode that I had recently started watching with Uncle Haru. I fish out the keys from my f/v/c handbag while checking the time with my phone. I unlock the door and toss my shows to the side, making myself a bowl of popcorn to share with Uncle Haru. I grabbed some blankets and pillows from a cabinet and set them on the couch.

I make myself comfortable before feeling a weight sink into the spot next to me. Uncle Haru was in a black hoodie and a pair of dark blue sweatpants.  He greeted me before we started watching the series, sharing popcorn throughout the movie until one of us fell asleep.