Chapter One

A/N: Sexual situations and abuse

✥ ✥ ✥

I lay in silence, looking towards the closed door while the large male continued to thrust into me. It was how I paid him for protection after being caught crossing from Day Court years ago. At this point, I wasn't sure how it had happened. I'd blocked out the events leading up to the capture, only that I was running from something before the figures fell from the sky, their membranous wings unmistakable.

Illyrians.

"You could pretend to enjoy it," he growled in my ear. I inhaled deeply, bringing a sensual smile to my face and trailing my teeth over my lip. My eyes softened, staring into the dark hazel eyes before me. His chest rumbled with approval, flashing a bright white smile that glowed in the dark. His pace sped up, his eyes shifting to my neck and bouncing breasts. I dug my nails into his chest, arching my back as the evening continued, careful not to touch his wings. I learned early I was not fit to feel them.

All of it was a game to ensure he still wanted me. Because the moment he realized he didn't I would be tossed out.

Being favored by the War Lord's eldest son had benefits and misfortune. They shunned me from society. I wasn't an Illyrian, just a defunct High Fae, and now the camp prince's whore. He'd parade me around, show me off. And there was an unspoken understanding that if anyone looked at me wrong, they'd disappear. Of course, rumors spread that he was fucking me, right under the nose of his father. He denied it, challenging anyone who dared to speak it. I was his plaything, but he swore he'd never touched me. Only his innermost circle knew of the arrangement behind closed doors.

Lies left his lips as he visited me nightly, ensuring I had no other visitors. Not that I would here.

I was his. I belonged to Rainer. The violent son and the feared warrior. He groaned, my mind shifting back to him as he tossed his head back. Small sweat beads ran down his forehead, head now limp as he collapsed onto me. He wasted no time, removing himself from me and putting his leathers on.

"Laelia?" My gaze returned to him, blinking slowly. He pulled the dark tunic over his rippling chest, the whirls of dark ink disappearing in a second. "Why have you not come to hold my baby?" I furrowed my brow, feigning stupidity.

"What?" I whispered.

"You have a cycle. I've seen it." I remained quiet, thinking of the consequence that would follow if I didn't pick my words correctly. "I expected you to be pregnant within a year. Now we are going on five." He moved to the door, refusing to look at me.

"I didn't think you wanted a child with me," was my only response, my heart starting to pound. He paused, holding the door tight. "The child will be a bastard," I advised.

"No male will want you now that your maidenhood is gone," my heart dropped, my stomach immediately following. "Not that you were to marry anyways." His eyes shot back to me, a small chuckle escaping his lips. "Don't look so surprised."

"What becomes of me if you marry?"

"You will still belong to me." The door opened and shut quietly. I waited till his footsteps vanished in the night before rushing from the bed.

"Fuck," I whispered to no one in particular, rummaging through the scandalous selection for clothes, so unlike the ones the Illyrian females wore. I'd heard rumors they were more similar to Hewn City, many of the dresses being scant pieces of cloth that barely covered my body. He told me it was more fitting for a High Fae, but I knew better. It was a reminder of what I was, that I was different, and made it easier for Rainer to watch my body while I danced before him and his friends.