Elisse screamed in pain when the man bit her wrist with his long and sharp fangs. She felt her blood gushing out, being sucked by him. Napapikit siya sa nararamdamang hapdi at init sa balat, para bang gusto niyang putulin na lang ang braso para makawala sa sakit. Sinubukan niyang hilahin pabalik ang braso ngunit masyadong malakas ang lalaki.

She felt her energy leaving her, maybe even her life. Her sight started to blur, her breath fading. She knew she's slowly losing her consciousness but the pain was still there, getting unbearable.

"S-stop!"

Unti-unting nandilim ang paningin ni Elisse. Her heart was beating incredibly fast despite the blood oozing out of her and the loss of consciousness. In a second, her vision became a full pitch black.

Just nothing.

Elisse didn't know how many minutes had passed. But the moment she opened her eyes, she was beyond shocked to see the monstrous man lying on the cold pavement ─ lifeless and bloody.

And worst of all, she was holding his heart.

What happened?

Something churned inside her stomach. Elisse wanted to vomit and scream in horror but to no avail. She was trembling so badly that she slowly lost the capacity to stand still...

~~

Marahas na napabangon si Elisse mula sa kanyang higaan. Pawisan siya at hinihingal. Maging ang mabilis na pagtibok ng puso niya ay naririnig na niya. Huminga siya ng malalim at isang luha ang tumulo mula sa kanyang kaliwang mata.

Panaginip lang pala.

She embraced herself, trying to ease the fear lingering inside. She's safe. She prayed silently, thanking God that she's safe.

Naihilamos niya ang mukha sa kamay bago huminga ng malalim ─ ilang beses niya iyon inulit. Nang masiguradong ayos at nasa wisyo na ay saka siya dumiretso sa banyo para mag-ayos.

Pagbaba ni Elisse ay hindi na siya nabigla nang maabutan ang matalik na kaibigan sa kitchen slash dining room nila — na nauna pa sa kanyang kumain. Elisse slowly broke a smile and shook her head.

"Good morning, Asha," she greeted.

"Hm!" Asha beamed, her mouth still full. She paused for a second, swallowing, then smiled after. "Good morning!"

She eyed her friend ─ Asha's taller than her, probably two inches or so if she's right. Hanggang dibdib ang haba ng buhok nito, maputi, makinis ang balat, at may maamong mukha.

"Kanina ka pa?" Umupo siya sa tabi ng kaibigan at nakisabay na rin sa pagkain. Kumuha siya ng isang piraso ng tinapay at pinalamanan iyon ng pritong itlog, at tulad ng nakasanayan ay halos mapaliguan ito sa dami ng ketchup na inilagay niya. She looked around while munching her food. "Where's my Mom, by the way?"

"Running some errands, she said," her best friend answered, "nga pala. Tita told me you're transferring school."

"Uhm, oo." Tumango siya. Asha was studying in a different school but even so, it didn't lessen their friendship and they still hang out from time to time. Her friend was living alone and said that her parents were working abroad and were rarely ever home. Ngunit hindi naman mukhang nalulungkot ang kaibigan, kaya kahit papaano ay payapa ang kalooban ni Elisse na maayos ang kalagayan ni Asha.

"Bakit daw?"

Elisse paused for a moment. She suddenly remembered her dream a while ago. Tingin niya kasi ay isa iyon sa dahilan kung bakit magta-transfer siya.

She instantly held the wrist where the scary man once bit her. Magaling na ang sugat na natamo niya noong gabing iyon but it didn't make her forget what happened.

Ipinagpapasalamat na lang niya na nagawa niya pang makauwi kahit hinang-hina na siya.

It was traumatic. She still had nightmares about it, and she knew it would take time before she ever got to overcome that unforgettable evening.

"Elisse?" Asha snapped a finger at her. "Okay ka lang?"

"Oo naman." She nodded and smiled, thankful that she didn't stutter. "Nag-space out lang saglit."

"You always do that, you know." Her friend stated the obvious. "So, anong reason?"

"Hindi ko rin sure." She chose to play safe with her answer. And she made it more convincing by shrugging her shoulders.

"Siguro may magandang dahilan kung bakit gano'n." Asha smiled. "But seriously, I'm going to miss you so bad." Ngumuso ito at yumapos kay Elisse ng napakahigpit. "Dalaw ka, ah!"

"O-oo." Natatawang sagot niya. "You're squeezing me too much."

"Because I'm going to miss you!"

"But you don't have to kill me," she retorted playfully. Asha let go of her and giggled.

"But if ever that you need some help, rest assured that I'll be there for you no matter what."

_____