-Chapter 11-

I enter English class early today, settling into my seat. I offer a smile to my teacher, patiently waiting for the bell to come, and for Sierra to arrive with it. I can't wait to tell her about my new revelation. I no longer feel that burning desire to change, because I am, thanks to Sierra. I can't wait to make plans with her for our summer. It'll be the best one yet- I can feel it ringing throughout me, down to the very core.

The bell rings, a sonorous sound that vibrates through the halls. I can picture the hall slowly being emptied until it is quiet and still. But no Sierra. Maybe she is sick, or she is skipping school. That's a very Sierra-like thing. Slipping my phone from my pocket, my thumbs fly to each letter, the screen slowly popping up with words and sentences.

"Class, please turn in your thoughts on society," the teacher says.

Realizing I burned that yesterday, I raise my hand impatiently.

"Yes Marley?" The teacher asks, surprise clearly evident in her tone.

"I don't have mine. I burned it yesterday," I say. "With Sierra," I add as an afterthought.

The class erupts into laughter. Obviously, they think this is some sort of prank, but it isn't, or, it wasn't. The teacher glances at me curiously. I'm not one known to joke or fool around in class.

"Well," the teacher finally says after some time, "whatever reason, it's still late."

I shrug. "I shared it to the world. The smoke carried my thoughts out into the air."

The teacher stares at me like I am some two-headed, six-fingered clown. The class roars again, but I ignore them all. They can think whatever they want of me, but I couldn't care less anymore. I'm finally content.

"Alright Marley," the teacher says. "Just be sure to turn it in tomorrow."

"Oh, I did," I reply.

Everyone stares at me in astonishment, probably wondering about my sudden and drastic attitude change.

The teacher turns away, sighing. She places the paper stack onto her desk, rubbing her hands together. "Today will be a peaceful one. Take out East of Eden and read until the bell rings."

Everyone takes their books out of the backpacks simultaneously. I stare at the pages of my book, wondering what Sierra is doing. I trace the edges of the paper, feeling the bumps and divots, running it along the sides. What could Sierra be doing right now? Skydiving or staring at trees- something of that sort. She is an unpredictable as the weather. Because you can predict the weather, but it's always changing and surprises you more than you'd like to admit.

Reading about Kathy, I laugh inwardly to myself. She reminds me of Sierra but a lot more crazy. And meaner, perhaps. Sierra isn't mean, she is nice, truly, but she can come off that way. Kathy is plain- as Kaya put it- evil.

Before I know it, the bell sounds again, leaving the classroom empty, a hollow shell like it was before, waiting to be filled again.

The teacher walks over to my desk. "Are you feeling okay today, Marley?"

I nod. "Better than ever. Burning that paper was the best things for me. You won't understand until you try it yourself. It's amazing, really."

"Everything okay at home?" The teacher asks.

"Normal," I say. "It's perfectly fine," I add when seeing her dubious face.

"Okay," the teacher bobs her head hesitantly. "Next time, I would appreciate it if you turn the paper in. You can burn it afterwords."

Then it defeats the whole purpose. But I smile and nod, knowing she won't understand ever. Not unless she is willing too. Currently, she view me as a troubled students, perhaps in need of some mental help.

I rise, slinging my backpack over my shoulder. "Have a good day," I say as I leave the classroom.

"You too," the teacher echoes, her voice floating out of the door.

My feet automatically move forward, taking me to my next period, math. Oh, it's going to be one long day.

* * *

I pause by the tree, where Jasper and Kaya are attempting to get along. Jasper catches my eyes, smiling. I smile back, walking over. Kaya, however, glares at me.

"So you decided to join us now that the person you worship so much abandoned you?"

"Sierra didn't abandon me," I snap. "She's sick."

"Bye, bitch." Kaya turns her back on me, saying loudly to Jasper, "so, what were you saying before someone rudely interrupted us?"

Ignoring her, Jasper greets me. "Hey, Marley. I missed you." Getting up, he comes over to hug me, and I wrap my arms around him in a much needed embrace. To Kaya, he says, "people can hang out with different friends all the time, but that doesn't mean Marley isn't our friend anymore."

Grabbing her backpack, Kaya walks towards me. "Fuck you," she seethes. "I know you chose Sierra over me. I saw you at the party. And you never made any attempts to hang out with me or Jasper." She storms away, and I stare after her, angry, but mostly filled with remorse. She is right, I never did try to contact her, but I was so preoccupied with Sierra. Kaya doesn't understand me like Sierra does. That is the problem. I guess when people grow older, they grow apart as well.

"Don't worry about Kaya, she can be a bitch sometimes," Jasper says. Worry flickers in his eyes. "And uh, don't tell her I said that?"

I laugh, hugging him again. "Thanks Jasper, and no, I won't."

Jasper smiles, pointing at the ground. "Sit, you lowly peasant."

I nudge him. "You wish." I plop next to him. "There's plenty of room today."

"There's plenty of room for you here anyday," Jasper says.

"Thanks, Jasper. That means a lot." I look down at my salad, picking at it with my fork, moving the lettuce side to side, but not eating it.

"You could show your appreciation by turning yourself into a peasant."

I look at Jasper, incredulous. "Is this how you treat guests?"

I expect Jasper to retort something back, but instead, he just says, "hmm, you're right. I'll be your peasant today."

My heart wells up, grateful that I have a friend like Jasper. I move down, next to him. "I'll be a peasant with you then."

"Good," Jasper grins. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

Hey all! Sorry for not updating, but I changed my updating schedule to every Friday. Hope you all had a lovely spring break!

How do you think this chapter was without Sierra? Any guesses as to what's happened to her/where she is?

Love you all! Keep voting and commenting :D

<3,

C. Augustine