ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

Start from the beginning

Mato grinned and immediately took her place behind the man, took the end of the rope, and pulled. 

With the winds roughly swirling around them, it proved difficult to pull the sails towards them. And even more difficult to keep your balance. The raging seas combined with the heavy winds became the recipe for disaster and would often cause their grips to loosen from the rope. 

One by one, each man that was tightly clinging to the rope was flung away from the strength of the wind. But their motivation did not waver. They all knew that if they weren't able to reel in the sails then they'd face an outcome worse than death itself. 

'Holy crap, this is hard,' Mato could feel the rope she was tightly pulling on slowly slide out of her grasp. It didn't help that her feet were skidding across the wooden flooring of the boat. The man in front of her was struggling as well but not as much as Mato who weighed lighter than him. 

The girl could feel the rope burning through her skin. She gritted her teeth, trying to focus solely on pulling the rope in. 

Breathe in. Pull. Breathe out. Pull. 

That was the rhythm Mato had set for herself to follow. To hopefully ease the chaos that was surrounding her, letting her focus easier. By the grace of those above, they were able to make progress. 

'Just a bit more,' she thought. 

Mato took a step back, to steady herself and to distance herself from the man in front, who was getting a little too close for comfort. Unknowingly, there was a puddle of collected rainwater behind her, the moment her foot landed on the puddle, she slipped and hit her head on the wooden flooring. 

"Agh!" Mato yelped. It was then she saw Katzo flying above her, his lanky hands gripping the rope for dear life. Her eyes widened as she saw his hands leaving the comfort of the rope and heading into the cold unforgiving sea. 

She immediately sprung into action. "Mister, I'll be right back," she said as she sped off. 

"Wha- Hey!" The man angrily called at her. 

But she ignored it. She ran over to where both Kurapika and Leorio were fighting. Nearing them was Katzo, who was inching closer and closer to the sea and further away from her grasp. Meters away from her side was Gon, who was also sprinting towards the two arguing men. It was at that moment, that Mato knew what she had to do. 

"HEY YOU IDIOTS," she shouted. 

Confused, Leorio and Kurapika turned to where the voice originated. 

"YOU BETTER PREPARE YOURSELF TO CATCH THEM BOTH!" Mato continued her voice ringing. 

Still unsure of what was happening, both Leorio and Kurapika faced each other. To their surprise, Katzo flew in between them, and without even knowing, both had instinctively acted and reached out to save Katzo, only to miss by a few inches. 

"Damn." They both grimaced, knowing what Katzo's end would be. 

'Ohhh, shit,' Mato willed herself to go faster. Her right hand slipped into her pocket and tightly grasped at the object she came in contact with. She could see how everything would end and they would definitely be needing her help. 

She continued running through the rain, though her vision blurred from the downpour, she could still see Gon fearlessly launching himself off the boat and clutching onto Katzo's wrist. But it wasn't enough, with both of his hands occupied he couldn't latch onto the boat. It was there that Leorio and Kurapika took hold of the boy's ankles, tightly gripping them to ensure that he wouldn't slip away.