chapter 13

Charles' POV:
This was supposed to be a really fun trip with Alex, but now I was in Bahrain by myself. I really wished she had followed me. Though I did understand why she didn't want to come. I have to make it up to her.

I had arrived this morning and now it was time to really get back to work. I had missed being in the paddock and driving. One thing I hadn't missed though was the media and yesterday's suprise reminded me why. I walked around the paddock just feeling it all. I met Mattia and started talking about the weekend. When we arrived in the motorhome I parted ways with him and went to my driver's room. I sat there for myself for a while and decided to text Lex.

****

Charles
Hey Lex
Missing you here

Alex(andra)
Yea me too Charl
Good luck this weekend

Charles
Thanks :)
Have to go now
It's time for FP1

****

I started getting ready for FP1 by changing to my racing suit. I got my things and went down to the garage. There I met up with my engineers and started getting ready.

The practice went well and it was nice being back in car for real now. It was a short paus between the practices for lunch.

FP2 went even better than and I started to get really excited for the race. The car looked and felt great. I was starting to get a bit tired after the long day back to work. Now the only thing left for the day was some interviews. The Sky Sports interview went by fast and without any problem, but the Ziggo interview didn't go as well.

-Nice to back at it Charles? The reporter asked.

-Yeah, I started. You know it's been a long time since we raced so it's nice to be back at it.

-Have you been up to anything fun during the break? He continued asking questions. Seeing someone maybe? There's a photo going around. I don't know if you've seen it but it's you and some girl. Who is she? Someone special?

I swallowed. Hard. Why did they even what to know? I answered as me and my media team had practiced.

-No, I laughed. She is not my girlfriend. She's just a childhood friend who I've caught up with.

I felt really uncomfortable speaking to the interviewer about Alex and especially lying. But that was the only thing I could do to try to stay under the radar.

I went back to the hotel after my media duties. I was tired and irritated, but also happy about the practices going great. That night I didn't feel like doing much so I just ordered some food and watched some series.

Saturday went by really quick FP3 went okay, but it was looking good for both the qualifying and the race. Qualifying went great I successfully qualified in P3, something I was really happy with. Luckily I hadn't gotten more awkward questions about the picture. Or at least not from the media.

It was now time for the drivers parade. I walked with Pierre to the truck. It was nice catching up with him since we had know eachother since early karting days.

-So I saw the picture Charles, he said with a grin on his face. Why is that the first time I'm hearing about this?

-Shh Pierre, I said trying to shush him. Well so I met this girl in Barcelona during testing and we've been keeping contact since then. She lives in Sweden so it quite far away but that week she came down to see me. And honestly Pierre I had the time of my life.

-Oh wow, he laughed. You seem to be deep down. Just like uhh.. what was her name? The girl from middle school. Ahh yes Sarah.

-Stop it Pierre, I sighed. And by the way, this is far more deep than Sarah in middle school.

The parade ended. Me and Pierre had talked the whole parade. It was fun and Pierre even gave me an awesome idea.

I got ready for the race. I zipped up my Ferrari red suit and walked over to my engineers. We talked about the final details and I got ready to step out on the grip. I pulled on my balaclava and helmet. I got in the car and got ready for everything.

It's lights out and away we go...

I pushed the throttle to the maximum and managed to overtake Norris. That was a good start. For a pretty long while I tailed behind Hamilton until he pitted slightly before the half of the race. He was on another strategy than me and I would try to overcut him later.

I was leading the race for a long while but at one point I had to pit. My tyres couldn't go on for longer. I pitted the next lap, but unfortunately I hadn't gotten enough ahead of Hamilton. As I got out on track again I was a couple of seconds behind.

I couldn't catch Hamilton sadly but I managed to hold the rest of the grid behind me. For being the first race of the season 2nd place want bad at all. After the race I got out of my car and ran over to the Ferrari team members. They all had worked really hard during the off season. This podium was theirs.

We got up on the podium and everybody cheered. I had missed the feeling of standing on the podium. They handed out our trophies. The champange song started and we went wild with spraying the champange. I loved this feeling.

If only Alex could see me right now, then I would be the happiest guy on earth.

---