Chapter 9: Amusement

Start from the beginning

"You two get along well..." Aether commented, trying to hold back a laugh.

"As if!" The two mystical races shouted in unison.

"Well, Paimon still thinks you were kinda at fault..." Paimon awkwardly smiled, shrugging her shoulders.

"You too, Paimon?! I thought we were comrades!"

Aether could only chuckle at the two's banter before meeting eyes with Sara, making a soft smile. He nudged her arm to grasp her full attention, whispering to her in a faint voice,

"Now's your opportunity to demonstrate your newfound conversation skills. I know you had a bad start but Itto alongside Paimon are the perfect targets to talk with as practice."

Sara flustered slightly from the sudden physical contact but after slowly registering the words spoken by Aether... Sweat started dripping from her head, but, with great courage, she solemnly inclined without complaint.

Her face noticeably tensed as she was about to confront her hardest challenge yet, which was...socializing.

Recognizing her sign of approval, he then called out to everyone,

"Are you guys still hungry? Me and Sara haven't eaten anything now that I think about it.."

"Oh! Just in time! Paimon was just about to say that my stomach is rumbling..."

"Dude, we ate, like three hours ago. And it was a lot too." Itto followed up but didn't express disproval in Aether's suggestion. "I'm up for some Uyuu's though, the ramen they serve is great!"

"Ramen!" Paimon chirped happily despite already eating dozens of bowls earlier.

"...Will this really be okay?" Sara muttered with worry. Her only reassurance was the fact Aether kept his smile, as if envisioning a wonderful meal time.

-------------

"I'm booooored~" Itto said as he spread out his large arms across the table. "Heyy... Kujou Tengu, come on and do somethin interesting."

"..." The stern-faced woman sat in silence, an empty bowl of ramen laid in front of her. Meal time had finished without anyone uttering a single word surprisingly. Aether's face was in a downcast when what he expected to be a lively dinner was instead accompanied by quietness.

It was just like his hangout earlier, there was simply a lack of words. Neither side wanted to say anything that might've caused discomfort amongst them.

"Uhh..." Paimon wanted to say something to break the ice, but remained unsure. Until she suddenly shouted, disturbing the customers around them.
"What if we played a game?!"

"Shh.." Aether gestured to his long-time partner kindly. Paimon embarrassedly covered her mouth with her small limbs before speaking out in a quieter tone,

"Paimon can already see through your intentions, Aether! Don't worry Paimon knows exactly what to do!" His reliable companion assured him. The outlander decided to leave things to her, and observed quietly.

"How about... uh...!" Paimon struggled to find the words, scratching her head. "A scenario game! We each come up with scenarios and ask each other what they'd do in that situation!"

"Oooh! Sounds interesting!" Itto replied heartily, emanating an energetic vigor from his voice.

Sara nodded, her face surprisingly displayed clear expectation from Paimon's suggestion.
"I see, it'd indeed be interesting to examine everyone's responses to arbitary situations." Her eyes were particularly focused at Aether, wanting to evaluate what he would do in random situations.

"Paimon will start first then...! Let's see... What would you do if you were stuck on an island...without food!" Paimon's face agonized at the thought but locked gazes with Itto, calling him out,
"Itto! Tell us!"

"One question... Am I with my gang in that island?"

"No, you're all alone!"

"Heh...Then isn't it obvious? An island contains a water body, and loads of fish are obviously gonna be inside there. I just need to catch a huge one and I'd be fed for a week!"

"Oooh, and you'd capture them with your bare hands?" Paimon inquired with genuine curiosity,

"Naturally, there's nothing the Arataki Gang Leader can't do!"

"...what a fool." A silent murmur leaked out, but luckily Itto didn't catch it. Yet despite those harsh words, a beautiful smile formed as Sara imagined the scenario herself, her face containing amusement for the first time in years since she was young.

As the sun began to set outside the restaurant, it was evident that the evening would be long and spent with spirited conversations.

------

Author's notes; Next chapter very soon