7

An entire month went by, my flashbacks coming and going, my skills in Literature increasing, and a certain someone was always on my mind. I didn't know if it was because I saw her literally every day, both at school and home, or because I was developing feelings for her. But I honestly didn't understand what I was feeling, being that I never felt that way before for anyone. It could have just been the feeling of friendship. She was my grandfather's god-daughter after all, so that had to develop a sisterly bond, though I was nothing close to religious.
It was the weekend and I was sitting on a poolside chair, in the backyard, overlooking the pool. Since I arrived, I never touched foot into the water, but boredom was tempting me, but then again Ava was coming over soon to tell me about how my tutoring was panning out. I honestly couldn't wait for them to fire me, those three teenagers were going to make me have to admit myself into a mental institution.
I walked over to the pool and dipped my toe in to test the water. It felt cool and sensual to the touch, so I decided that I would just dip my legs inside. Luckily, I was wearing shorts so that my legs were bare.
As I felt the cool water covering my legs, I let out a heavy sigh and watched how my legs slowly paddled in the water.

"Mommy, Daddy, where are you?" I yelled as I was left alone in the pool. I swam my way to the edge, with the help of my floating armbands, and lifted my little body out of the pool and onto the concrete.
A lot of people were there, either swimming or walking around. I felt out of place and alone. I walked into the house through the opened glass door to see my mother and father in the living room with another woman.
"Jaclyn, what the fuck!" My father spat as I walked closer.
"You brought your mistress to your daughter's birthday party," my mother fumed.
"Don't talk to me like that Jaclyn. I can bring who the fuck I want over."
I ran over to my mother and gripped onto her leg, "Kay, why aren't you outside?" My mother asked looking down at me, her eyes softening.
"I want to be with you, mommy," I said tightening my grip on her leg as I looked up at the woman.
"I think I should leave," the woman said and stormed away.
"See what you fucking did," he pushed my mother out of the way, resulting in both of us toppling to the floor, and walked away.

"Kylie," Ava sat down next to me and dipped her feet into the pool as well, "I was looking for you," she said as I felt her hand on my arm, "are you okay?" She questioned as she leaned closer to me, her body weight against mine, resulting in both of us falling into the pool.
We both squealed as the impact of the water covered our bodies and I immediately swam toward the surface. I took in the air, and my breaths were uneven as I saw Ava doing the same, "fuck, were you trying to drown me?" I chuckled as I swam to the edge of the pool and lifted myself up onto the concrete.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. You just seemed sad," she said as she did the same.
"I rather be alone when I'm sad, if you don't mind," I said as I walked into the house, up the stairs and into my room. She likely followed behind me since I heard her footsteps. I slipped my soaked tank top over my head, including my legs out of my shorts. I then took out two towels from the linen drawer and turned back to her, "here," I threw one of the towels over to her as I proceeded to dry my skin.
"Um...mm... I like your tattoo," she said since the upper part of my body was completely exposed.
"Thanks," I said as I slipped down my underwear and immediately wrapped the towel around my body.
"Your other tattoo is nice too," she said and slipped her top over her head, revealing a black lace bra. I bit down on my bottom lip as I tried not to look at her.
"You mean the one below my hip?"
"Yeah, it's cute," I lifted my eyes up to hers, the towel already wrapped around her body, "I left clothes here that one time, I can use those," I nodded, walked over to my dresser and took out the folded clothes that I had placed in there.
"Good coincidence, huh?" I handed them to her.
"Yeah, there's a reason for everything," she walked closer to me, "can I ask you a question?"
"You have been asking me questions since I met you, but go ahead," I grinned. Her body being so close to mine made me a bit self-conscious.
"Are you a virgin?" She whispered as though if anyone heard she would have gotten in trouble. I swallowed as I looked down at her lips. I stepped backward, creating distance between us.
"I am," I said as I looked into her eyes, not too sure why she would ask a question like that.
"I figured... since you never had a girlfriend," she said turning her gaze away from me, "I wanted to ask what it was like."
"You can only understand if you experience it yourself," I said and she shook her head.
"I can't, there's no one in this town that wouldn't rat me out to my parents and everyone else, for that matter."
"Even if they'd be the one you would be sleeping with?" She nodded.
"I think I'm just afraid of the possibility of someone finding out, you may not know this but I am just like you," she said as she took a seat on my bed still facing me. I sat down next to her.
"I kinda figured that out a while ago."
"How?" She asked. I could feel her breath against my neck. She was close to me again, and I wasn't too comfortable with it.
"I just know," I said, my body heat building up. I knew I needed to move away from her but I didn't want to. My heart was beating at a rapid rate and I didn't know why.
"Isn't it obvious?" She sighed as she began to run her fingers through my hair, making my eyes close and my need to push her away slowly disintegrate.
"You being a lesbian?" She trailed her fingertips along my shoulder.
"No," she whispered, before kissing my shoulder. I trembled at her touch, my heart rate again increasing.
I got up, leaving her on the bed, "I'm not comfortable with that," I said not knowing why I rejected her. Her touch was exhilarating, but I was so uneasy about it. I wanted it but still I didn't.
"Hey, you can talk to me about anything you know," I shook my head and walked into my closet, looking for clothing, though I just wanted to avoid the conversation, "Kylie, you need to open up to someone," my eyes shot up to meet hers, tears threatening to fall.
"I don't want to talk about it," I said as I hastily picked up a pair of sweats and a t-shirt.
"Please Kylie," she begged as she grabbed me by my shoulders and leant her forehead against mine.
"Can you just leave me alone?" I whispered, my voice strained.
She backed away from me and sighed, "I'm here when you're ready to talk," she said before picking up her clothes that she left on the bed and walking into the bathroom, closing the door behind her. I let out a heavy sigh and dropped my towel to the floor, before I got dressed.
Combing my hand through my wet hair, I decided against blow drying it since I was both mentally and physically exhausted.
Ava came out of the bathroom, her hair still wet as well and she walked over to me, "want to help me set a quiz?" She asked as I avoided eye contact with her, "by the way, you're doing great with the tutoring, the three students are actually improving."
"Yeah... um..."
"There is this fair tomorrow at the park, would you like to go? My family is going and grandpa will as well," I shook my head, "oh come on, there will be cotton candy and caramel apples."
I looked at her, "are you trying to persuade me with treats?"
"Maybe... Grandpa did tell me that you have a sweet tooth," she said making a small smile form on my lips.
"Only if you promise not to kiss me again," she let out a heavy sigh, before walking up to me and crashing her lips against mine. My entire body shook with an electric sensation at the unexpected gesture, and when our lips parted, she ran the tips of her fingers along my cheek.
"Like that?"