Chapter 1

WARNING: Mention of rape.
John POV
  5:30 this morning, I woke with a weird good day bad day feeling, but I blow it off. Evelyn always had these feelings because she could never tell if we would lose someone and livestock. The ranch hands are busy working to get the barn and stalls and circle rink cleaned for our deliveries. Today we are getting new horses and Buffalo and cattle. I always put Frank in charge because he has been the best and oldest ranch hand here. You see Frank, my father hired him when he was 14. When I was a kid and growing up, I never really liked him and thought he was after my family ranch. I walked into the kitchen to make me a cup of coffee. I took my cup of coffee and walked towards and onto my porch to see my 11 year old little girl running around the yard with our dog, Asher, wearing a t-shirt and jeans and a pair of cowboy boots.

Young Haley

Young Haley

Haley, my little girl, may be the youngest but I plan for her to help run this ranch when I'm gone

Haley, my little girl, may be the youngest but I plan for her to help run this ranch when I'm gone.  You see Haley was the last child my wife Evelyn had before she died and I made a promise to her, I would keep Haley safe from the harms of the world.
  "Haley sweetheart, coming here" I yelled to the little girl running around. "Yes papa" she replied with those big blue eyes. She come running up to me and climbed onto the bench next to me. We talked for a little while when Rip Wheeler walked up and said "Frank wants to see you sir." Haley and I both stand up and walked to the barn. "Stay behind me sweetheart" I told Haley as I remember that she hasn't been around horses before. When we got to the barn, Haley grabbed my hand super hard and made me stop. I leaned down and asked "sweetheart what's wrong." She glanced up at me and said "I'm scared papa." I picked her up and smiled at her saying "sweetheart, Rip and I won't let anything happen to you." She glanced over at Rip to get clarification of what I just said and he shook his head and smiled at her. I put her down and she ran off with Rip to see one of the horses and I knew Rip would be there to protect her with me. Frank called my name and turned to him asking "what's the problem." He said "the horses aren't listening and one of the ranch hands let the cattle walk right through the gate." I shook my head. I gently glanced to my right to look down the barn hall to see my 11 year old little girl looking up into 21 year old Rip's eyes.
Frank glanced to and stated "Haley looks more and more like her mother everyday." I simply smiled and said "yes she does." Little did I know that Frank, my right hand man, would soon hurt her. "Where did you see the cattle go?" I asked. Frank stated "I saw them go down towards the river." "Stay here and finish breaking in the horses" I told Frank. He nodded. I called down to Rip and said "saddle up a horse, I need you." He nodded and told Haley "I'll be right back." She watched as Rip walked to get his black American quarter horse.

The second the horse's hoof hit the silver transition from the stall to the hall, Haley screamed and jumped back falling into the hay

The second the horse's hoof hit the silver transition from the stall to the hall, Haley screamed and jumped back falling into the hay. Rip jumped at the scream and walked over to where he heard it and looked until he find Haley laying in the hay. He put out his hand for her to grab and pulled her out. He asked "are you hurt?" Haley shook her head and smiled at him saying "no I'm okay thank you." Rip told Haley "stay right here and don't touch anything, I don't want you getting hurt." Haley nodded and sat down in the stall. Rip rode up to us on horseback and when we were all ready, we rode towards the river. While riding, I had flashbacks to when I lost Evelyn. We rode right through the gate and over the spot where Evelyn took her final breath. Lloyd and Lee were riding next and behind me and Lee looked over and saw me in tears and asked "papa you okay?" I sadly smiled at him and said " I miss your mama Lee." Lee sadly smiled as while having tears running down his face.
Third POV
Frank watched John and the ranch hands ride away to save the cattle and steer them to right pasture on the ranch. Once them were out of eyesight, Frank walked quietly down to the barn in search of Haley. He find her hiding in Rip's horse's stall. Haley glanced up at the sound of boots and saw Frank walking towards her. Haley flinched when Frank grabbed her arm and pulled her up onto the hay in the stall. Haley cried and screamed and fought until she couldn't anymore while Frank hurt her. Frank beat her until she was black and blue all over and then he didn't stop.

 Frank beat her until she was black and blue all over and then he didn't stop