Lo and behold the two of them were there. Adrianne smiled like her usual pretty, energetic self, and Ezekiel looked as well as he can be. If you didn't know Ezekiel, he would be quite intimidating, especially now, with the sour expression on his face. Beth joined the others. She said nothing.

They were sent off to work, and as per usual with Beth's luck, she was placed in the same section with Ezekiel. They didn't acknowledge each other for the first ten minutes, only focusing on sorting their share of books. But the silence got to be so loud, and Beth could feel her head start to spin. Ezekiel must have felt it too because he was the first one to speak.

"How do you know Clementine?" He asked his back still to Beth, not even looking her in the face. His voice was low, almost as if he didn't want Beth to hear what he was saying.

Beth didn't falter, she responded immediately, "We've been friends since the beginning of the year, or around that time," Beth waited for him to say anything, and then asked a question of her own, "How do you know Clementine?"

She could hear Ezekiel's smirk, even though they couldn't see each other, "Well, we have known each other for a few years. We were friends," He dropped off, the few seconds of silence filling the air, "I'm guessing you want to know why we aren't now?"

"Kinda. Just a little bit. Since you know, you two argued in my living room." She replied.

He sighed, and Beth leaned her arm against the cart of books they both had, "Well, we were best friends. We used to do everything together. I confided every secret to her. She was amazing," Ezekiel said with a smile, it slowly faded away, "But over time, things changed, both of us did. And some of us for the worse. We ended off kinda badly. I guess the two of us aren't over it yet."

Beth listened intently, nodding along to his words, "Do you hate her, or blame her?" Beth asked.

Ezekiel shook his head, "I don't think I could ever hate her. We have too much history. I guess for some people it would warrant hatred. But for me, I can't really. I know she tried to change, and that both of us have grown as people. But I don't know if I could ever look back," He explained, finally turning to face Beth.

Beth nodded, she did understand his reasoning. She still distantly wondered exactly what happened between the two of them. But as far as she was concerned, it wasn't her problem nor was it her place to ask.

Beth smiled at him, "Thanks for telling me. You're pretty cool."

Ezekiel laughed, crossing his arms, "No problem! It's weird we haven't really talked, y'know, despite me being Violet's friend," He gestured to the bookshelves around him, "And both of us doing this after school most days."

With the mention of Violet, Beth wondered if Ezekiel would tell her what was going on with her, what they were talking about the night before, "Yeah it's pretty interesting. But I also was wondering about something else too," Ezekiel raised his eyebrows, "I was wondering about violet. Wondering if there's anything I should know? Have you noticed anything?"

Ezekiel's previous expression of relaxation was replaced with something that was no doubt worry, he sighed, "Yeah I have. I don't know what's going on with her, she won't tell me even if I ask. So I try not to bother her. But as far as I'm concerned, I'm gonna keep an eye on her."

Beth's worry about Violet, which hadn't been much of a problem, increased. Suddenly, the world felt a lot heavier.

They were done in a good time. The books were sorted, and the rest of them were free to leave. But after a hard day, Beth needed some time to herself. She practically dragged herself to a bench, slouching immediately, her eyes unfocusing despite the brightness of the outside. She knew it wouldn't be too long before it got cold, and the sun would go down. Stupid sun, going down early, Beth thought.

Beth's mind, despite the whole day being active and loud, had quieted. She listened to the sound of distant cars, and the breeze going through the trees. Her body felt relaxed, finally.

Until someone knocked on the bench, right beside her head, startling her.

"Woah sorry!" The voice of a girl sounded. Beth knew that voice, and she almost couldn't keep the expression of disapproval going across her face. A certain redhead with a painting of freckles on her nose and face. Adrianne, fantastic.

Adrianne didn't seem like a bad person on first impression. She seemed like a happy person, who liked to joke and make people laugh. It's why people liked her, as well as her being very very pretty. With a button nose, full cheeks, and green eyes that seemed to sparkle, she stuck out in the crowd. But Beth wasn't fooled by her.

She sat down next to Beth, giving her a smile, "Hello!" She said, "I haven't spoken to you yet!"

"Yeah," Beth responded, not returning the smile. I wish it would stay that way, she thought.

Adrianne stuck out her hand, "Well I'm Adrianne, but you can call me Anne, most people do!" She let her hand down when Beth's arms stuck firmly crossed, "I notice you are one of the ones who help out in the library?"

Beth nodded. She wished the conversation would end, that Adrianne would take the hint and leave her alone.

She didn't, "That's so cool! I love helping out there. It's a bit of a shame we haven't spoken before now. You seem cool," Adrianne's voice at the end almost seemed to falter, like her impression wasn't lining up with reality.

Beth only wondered why Adrianne even cared. She had to know who she hung out with? Did it even matter to her? Why not? Why not get involved in the conversation? Who cares? Beth figured, "Yeah, it's pretty relaxing some days, but some others it feels like a drag, you know?"

Adrianne seemed more relaxed at the turn of conversation, "Yeah I get it, especially with how stressful school has been lately!" She slouched down a little more, and her arms crossed in her lap. It seemed like Adrianne was assuming Beth's posture.

"Do you have Mr. Davids?" Beth asked, and Adrianne nodded, "He gives so much homework!" Beth complained, her arms falling limp at her sides, her head falling back.

"I know! I spend most nights just working on the stuff he gives out! It's ridiculous!" Adrianne responded, "And with the project he made us do? I had the most useless people in the whole class and I couldn't change it or do it on my own. I did all the work!" She groaned.

Beth was never particularly good at conversation, so that's why she was surprised it was flowing so naturally, and with someone like Adrianne of all people, "Hm? He let me do it alone?" Beth almost wanted to laugh.

Adrianne sat up, shocked, "You? But why? Why not me? That's so stupid!" She pushed her hair from her face and frowned.

"Guess he has a favorite and it's not you," Beth joked, Adrianne lightly punched her in the arm and Beth laughed. This only led to more punches, and more laughing.

Adrianne scoffed, "You're dumb," She said, before smiling, "I'm just kidding, you're actually pretty great. I don't know how most people don't know you. You're so nice!"

Beth snickered, "Actually it's usually my initial responses that scare people away, and y'know, how scary I am" Beth sat up to look Adrianne in the eyes, "Yeah you're pretty cool Adrianne. I guess my initial judgment of you was also dead wrong."

Adrianne smiled at her, "Thanks! And please, just call me Anne. It's weird you're using my full name."

"Okay Anne," Beth responded, "I best be going though. The sun will be going down soon, and I should be him. So should you." Anne nodded, checking the time.

"Crap I need to get to the bus soon!" Anne panicked, almost turning to leave before she looked at Beth once more, "Hey! It was great meeting you, but I gotta go now! So bye!" Anne ran off without a response.

Beth waved as she ran, smiling to herself.

Anne was completely different than Beth would have ever expected. She expected someone stuck up, self-absorbed, something so much different than who she actually was. That didn't mean Beth trusted Anne at all, but she could tell something wasn't quite lining up.

A question meant for another day, Beth figured, sticking her hands in her pockets and setting off for home.