Muddy Tires (part one)

Waking from a midday nap to the sound of a gentle tapping on his bedroom door, a drowsy Sal Fisher trudged to the doorframe, the remnants of a nightmare still fresh in his brain. He blinked twice at the clock on his wall to be sure he was really awake. The near-rusted door knob felt cold against his hand as he turned it with a creak.

     To his surprise, Ashley's slender figure leaned against the wooden outline. She looked at him with eyes that beamed with energy, that of which his lethargy could not match. He stood there for a brief second, rubbing his damaged eyelids before realising he was unmasked. However, before he could turn to retrieve his prosthesis, his friend spoke.

     "Oh, I'm sorry Sally Face, we're you sleeping? I can go hang in the living room and let you wake up." Sal moved his hair out if his face in an attempt to seem more awake.

     "No worries, I was just resting my eyes, you know? Preparing for the weekend." He spoke in a voice that dripped with fatigue. The cool autumn air streamed through the open window against his exposed back, and he turned to grab his sweater, not breaking eye contact with Ashley. "It's going to be one hell of a ride for the next two days, I won't be getting much good rest."

     "Well, you agreed to come along. You're allowed to stay home if you want too. Free up some extra truck space." Ash rolled her eyes playfully as she spoke, helping sal fasten the buckles on his ceramic face. The group planned to borrow her father's pickup truck, and ride far down one of the beaten gravel paths through the brush behind Nockfell cemetery, camping in the truck bed. Todd had invited Sal to join them on the excursion. He wasn't entirely keen on the heavy drinking that would take place, and wanted to make sure there would be someone else on the same page, so Fisher agreed to accompany them.

     "Larry is still going to come, right?" Sal queried, "and is he sleeping in the backseat or the trunk."

     "Yeah, he's coming. I'm not sure who's sleeping where, though. I know Neil is going to recline the passenger seat." Ash responded, in an assured tone. "I think you might be happy seeing what nature has to offer."

     Sally knew, however, that all in this town felt dead, washed out. Not even the colors of sun streaming through the peachy fall leaves were vibrant. The feeling that all is devoid of life reached beyond the cemetery grass. He always mused over the life creation exhuberated, but here in Nockfell, all felt empty. Even so, Ash saw life where others could not, and always somehow lived in sunlight, even here, as is the nature of her passion for photography. Sal mulled over this as he fastened his belt, comparing her photography to Larry's paintings. Both of them seeked to depict the world, but embraced different areas. Larry seemed to paint scenes that reflected what this town offered. He snapped from his thoughts as Ash's teal shoes grazed the musty green carpet.

     "So, have you already packed your bags? We're gonna be hitting the gas station for snacks, and Neil's got the cooler."

     "Ashley, it's only a weekend. I'll need like a book bag and not much else." Sal leaned down to tie his shoes, weaving laces between his fingers, "Everyone's gonna be drinking but me and Todd, right?"

     "Well, yeah. Funny, because Larry bummed some bud off of Ray." Ash opened the door, motioning for them to depart. "The trucks already set up. We're pitching the trunk tent after dark. Until then we get to feel the breeze in our hair and the sun on our skin!" She beamed self-assured.

     Sal rolled his eyes, "Uh huh, and who's gonna be driving after all that buzz."

    "Neil's the only one who's got a listens, except my permit. There won't be any 'buzzing' until dark, when the car is parked. By the way, we're all pitching in on cassettes. Make sure to bring yours."

    "Well I listen to the same stuff as Larry, so I won't really bring much contribution music wise, so I'll let him handle it." Sal walked out into the Hall, and passed the chipped wooden doors into the dented elevator to the ground floor. As his soles hit the tile, he felt hopeful this trip would bring him relief from his nightmares, sleeping away from the dense air of the apartment.