"What were you talking about?" Nat asked relaxed, and you shrugged.

"About you guys, actually." You told surprising them. "Wanda was astonished that she didn't know you were dating, much less married."

Nat gave a dry laugh. "That's news. She never once tried to find out."

"That's what I told her!" You commented gesturing slightly. "Then she said some things to me about not getting attached because people always leave, but she was evading the subject the second I asked more questions."

"Sorry, that sucks." Tasha spoke but you shrugged again.

"It's okay, I'm used to this Wanda." You say. "It was that vulnerable side of her that surprised me. I wanted her to realize that she can trust me."

"Maybe she just needs a little more time." Nat suggests, but before you can agree, Maria is adding with a frown:

"Or maybe it's not about time or trust." She says. "She talked about getting left, didn't she? Y/N, you didn't tell her the truth. Wanda still thinks you're leaving."

You widened your eyes slightly, and Nat murmured in agreement with her wife.

"B-but we could keep seeing each other if I worked somewhere else and..."

Nat gestured for you to stop justifying yourself, settling down on the couch. "We know that, but we're talking about Wanda. When was the last time you heard anything about her that wasn't work-related?" She asked, and you sighed, shrugging. "The answer is a long time ago. When she and Vision split up."

"Oh, that's right. Remember how Steve caught her crying at the printer when the papers first arrived? She seemed really upset back then." Maria commented.

"I don't remember that." You mumbled, and the redhead - now sitting down - patted the couch for you to come closer. She began braiding your hair as soon as you sat nearest her on the carpet.

"That was just before you were hired, dear." Natasha continued the story. "By the time you left mentoring, Wanda was already a divorced woman."

"And a control freak." Maria completed making Nat laugh softly.

"But it wasn't so bad when it started, don't you remember?" The redhead asked, to which the brunette next to her just shrugged, half thoughtfully. "I think it got worse during the child custody hearings."

"That I remember." You comment hugging your knees as Nat fiddles with your hair. "I didn't see her crying, but she seemed on the verge of a breakdown at any second. It was different from what you told, Wanda just looked enraged."

"I think any mother would be." Nat says. "Her ex wanted full custody, didn't he? I think I read in some magazine the coverage of what was going on. And Wanda won narrowly, they had several twists and turns at the auditions, it looked like movie stuff."

Maria let out a nostalgic exclamation. "Damn, you're right! I had forgotten how crazy the whole thing was. Remember when Wanda was away for a whole week, and the entire department found out about that gossip channel that was trying to film the trial? Everyone was in shock when she showed up yelling at her brother-in-law on channel 19."

You laughed faintly, remembering the day a little. It hadn't really been a funny memory, and Wanda sure looked pretty shaken up on TV. And just as stunning in her dark jacket, calling her ex-husband's family irresponsible drunkards who would put their children at risk.

"She got even more distant after that, didn't she?" you asked then, thoughtfully in your spot. Nat sighed.

"I'm not sure." She spoke up. "She was pretty busy, getting divorced, trying not to lose her kids, and saving the family business. It's not like she can prioritize her employees' personal lives."