part 1/ in his room

I walk through the hall and into his room. The light from his window is hitting directly at my face. My head is spinning from the molly and for a second all I see is a white light. I stare ahead, trying to pull myself together

"You okay?" he asks.

Elliot is sitting on the floor, next to the bed, fidgeting a CD. He turns to the window above his bed as if looking for something I might have seen that troubled me, then looks to me.

"Sorry just checked out for a moment"

The light is hitting him too. It's only early in the afternoon, but the sun is amazing at this time of the day. It's like the light is dancing with his bleached blonde curls as he moves over to his nightstand to look for something.

"Ever listened to nick cave?" he asks. I love it when he puts me on new music, but I like to give him a hard time before I admit I like what he showed me.

"I think I've heard of him..." I turn towards the wall "is that him?" I point to the poster next to his bed.

"Bingo", he says

I'm leaning against the wall and watch him as he is going through his CD collection. He is clicking his tongue in a strange rhythm probably going over some melody in his head, as always.

"I've also heard it's a red flag when a guy likes him" I tease, "should I be concerned?"

He giggles, "oh we are not talking about red flags, we both have too many" he says while pulling out another CD. I laugh. He is right. We both like too many bad things. It's probably why we like each other.

"Okay then let's check this cave guy"

"...this cave guy?" he busts out laughing.

I walk over to him and grab the CD to put it on the player. I don't even know how a CD player works. The icons on the buttons start to fade and I'm getting dizzy again. Elliot reaches out and brushes my bare ankle while I'm trying to figure it out. The moment his hand touches me I completely relax. Now I can barely tell where the buttons are.

"You know the molly makes this feel way too good"

"Yeah I bet" he lets out a laugh. He watches me struggle to figure it out.

"Let me do it" he jumps up and takes the CD from my hand. I let out a sigh and go to sit on the bed.

"How are you feeling?" he asks

"A bit euphoric, a bit tired... I love the colors I'm seeing. I love the sun at this time of the day"

"I love it too" he turns to me and smiles. Then presses play.

I lie down, then move my body closer towards the open window. There's is that early afternoon breeze and it's filling up the room with the smell of early spring. "She passed by my window" is playing

Elliot walks from the opposite side and starts grabbing stuff to try to clean up the space.

His room is always messy. I'm probably lying on top of his t-shirts but I'm too high to feel uncomfortable by the lumps. He has stuff all over but somehow the room doesn't look dirty. It just looks lived in. I compare it to mine that feels empty and abandoned. I notice that I feel more comfortable here than at home.

"I like it" I say

"What?"

"The song", "it's nice"

"Im glad you do"

He moves the magazines from the bed to the floor and then lies next to me. We both close our eyes, I think instinctively. We sit in silence. I love this feeling of calmness. I wish I could stay here forever.

"I wish I could stay here forever"

"No, you don't" he hits my arm slightly "you have too many things to do in this world to spend your life like this". He turns to me and looks me in the eyes.

"And you don't?" I ask

"I didn't say that. I ll figure it out at some point. But you figured it out before me. And that's a good thing. Don't chicken out of your dreams" he whispers

I turn to the ceiling. "It seems like too much work to go after what I want, you know?" "I look around and see everybody else working for something, even they don't necessarily want it... and I'm like... I'm lucky enough to have figured it out. Why can I not do it? Why can I not go after my dreams?"

"....I don't think it's always as simple as that"

"What do you mean?"

"We are just people...u know. Nothing is as simple as we'd like it to be. Sometimes things look great on paper but don't feel right. You have to go with your gut. Not fucking lose your mind over something you feel you have an obligation to do"

He holds my hand

"Yeah I get that...i just... I don't know I guess you also have to push yourself a bit to do the things you want to do"

"yes... a bit" he comes closer to me "not obsess over your own limits, cause you are only making it harder for yourself...and you know that better than anyone"

"What was that Taylor swift lyric you told me one day, something about potential?" he asks

"Oh um...was it "they told me all of my cages were mental, so I got wasted like all my potential?""

He nods and smiles. "That's the one".

"I love that you remember that", I say

He is looking me right in my eyes.

"That's good; it'll keep you balanced with all of that nick cave you have been listening"

He chuckles

I lean over to him and rest my head on his chest. I take in his smell

"I smell like weed don't I?" he asks

"Yeah kinda, it's making me sleepy"

He starts brushing my hair with his hand

"Close your eyes" he says.