001 , it all starts with death

En başından başla

"It's all about the coffee, Aunt Jenna," Elena laughed, lifting her mug into the air as a show.

"Is there coffee?" Jeremy asked as he entered the kitchen, a tired expression on his face. His eyes instantly latched onto Elena's mug and he lit up. Walking over, he grabbed it out of her hands and took a sip, sighing in happiness.

"Hey!" Elena shouted in annoyance, "Couldn't you get your own?"

Rolling his eyes, he muttered, "And do extra work? No thank you."

Elena rolled her eyes and grumbled under her breathe before pouring herself another cup of coffee.

"I'm so unprepared for your first day of school," Jenna groaned. She grabbed her purse and rummaged through it before pulling her wallet out triumphantly. "Lunch money?" She asked, waving around three ten dollar bills.

"I'm good," Elena replied as she drank her coffee.

Asteria walked over and took a ten dollar bill out of Jenna's hands, giving her a nod in thanks, before Jeremy grabbed the rest. Asteria watched as Elena eyed the money in Jeremy's hand before looking at him suspiciously.

"Anything else?" Jenna questioned, grabbing stuff left and right. "A number two pencil? What am I missing?" She asked herself.

"Your meeting with your thesis advisor?" Asteria brought up, watching as Jenna glanced at her watch and panicked.

"I have to go! I'm late! Love you!" Jenna mumbled in a rush before running out the door.

Asteria lightly shook her head at her aunt's behavior. Her musing was cut short by Elena interrogating Jeremy. "What are you going to do with that money, Jer?"

"It's none of your business," Jeremy retorted, annoyance visible on his face. He moved to walk out the door, but was stopped by Elena walking in front of him.

"Not my business?" Elena snapped, crossing her arms over her chest while giving him a disapproving look, "Of course it's my business, Jer!"

Opening his mouth to reply, he was stopped by Asteria who cut in. "Leave him be, Elena. We all handle grief in different ways."

Turning to Asteria, Elena mocked, "Oh yeah? Is your way of handling grief better? Locking yourself in your room and isolating yourself?" She paused and gasped dramatically, "Oh wait, I forgot, you never gave a damn!"

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Asteria demanded, confused on where she was going with this. "Of course I care. They were my parents too!"

Elena scoffed and rolled her eyes, "You just dislike the fact that our parents liked me better!"

"What does that have to do with anything?" Asteria questioned back in a calm manner, knowing exactly how to push Elena's buttons. Neither girls noticed when Jeremy quietly tiptoed out of the room.

"You don't care!" Elena argued, her face slowly turning red when she was unable to get a reaction out of Asteria. "You never mourned mom or dad!"

Rolling her eyes, Asteria crossed her arms. "I did mourn, Elena," Asteria informed, having enough of this conversation. "Just because we have different ways of mourning, doesn't mean I didn't mourn. I loved them just as much as you did." Gag. As if.