t h i r t y n i n e

Start from the beginning

"You part of the FBI or something? ..." She asked.

"Not exactly..." The younger one spoke, crouching down to sit in the alleyway opposite Ember, "My name is Grant. Me, and my friend here," He motioned towards the older man, "work for an organisation that works towards making the world a better place. The greater good, some may say."

The older man nodded, considering sitting with them, but changing his mind and staying standing.

"I noticed you spoke down to your times in foster care. We don't want that. We want a world where children don't have to live in such experiences. We will eliminate all threats to a society where everything isn't perfect."

The man spoke with such sincerity that Ember couldn't help but believe every word he said, she knew he was telling the truth, and for the first time she felt like she was with people who understood her.

"We work with some of the highest members of society. Police, Senators, Judges, to help create this world we're dreaming of, and woking so hard to get towards. And we think that you would be a great addition to our organisation. We're heading back to headquarters just now, and you're more than welcome to come with us. You'd have living facilities, and it would be a lot warmer than here—"

"I'm in." She interrupted him, standing up off of her cold, damp spot in the alleyway.

What's the worst that could happen?

November 6th 2013
HYDRA base

She had lost track of how many twists and turns they took in the car on the way too... Wherever they were going. It looked like some sort of industrial complex, buildings everywhere, right out the way of the city. It was intimidating.

"There's some people we'd like you to meet " The younger man, Ward, she had learned his name was.

A short man in a rather dirty lab coat came walking up to the three of them, a pair of crooked glasses on his head, and a birds nest of blonde hair.

"This is Dr Bradley Jones. He's a scientist here at HYDRA."

"HYDRA?" Ember asked, shaking the scientists hand.

"It's the name of our organisation." The scientist answered. His voice was high pitched, and you could tell just by the sound of it that he smoked a fuck ton of cigarettes,

"Right." Ember replied.

"You'll learn everything about this place, Ember. All in due time. We're shaping the century."

Ember followed them down the long pathways of the industrial estate buildings they had brought her too. The cold air flowing down the metallic hallways sent chills down her spine.

"The lab is just this way." Dr Jones spoke.

"Why are we going to a lab?"

Her fucked up mind didn't see anything wrong with this situation. She had no idea what she had gotten herself into.

"This is just standard procedure for all of our new Agents." Ward said as they entered the lab.

The lab wasn't the nicest place Ember had ever visited, everything was rather intimidating. The walls were dark— There were no windows. She felt trapped, claustrophobic.

"I uh— Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. I think I'm gonna go—"

Johns face broke out into a wide, evil grin.

"You're not going anywhere, Ember. You're one of us now."

Dr Jones grabbed her arm and began to drag her to the other side of the lab. She tried to fight him, but not even her best karate moves were enough to brake free from his grasp.

She let out a sob as she was thrown down onto a chair, her head coming into contact with the harsh metal, creating a gash in the back of her head, warm, sticky blood dripping onto her shoulders and down her neck.

"What are you doing to me?" She asked, sobbing.

Her social worker told her she let people walk all over her too easily. She was lost, and alone when she was in that alleyway. And her twisted, broken mind somehow decided to trust the two men who approached her in the alleyway. They acted as if they understood her. But now, as they strapped her into a chair while she thrashed around, trying to break free, she knew that wasn't the case.

"Let me go." She begged.

She had no more energy to fight anymore. She sat in the chair, weeping, her arms stuck in place as the scientist gathered countless materials, needles, and formulas while she sat in the chair, begging to be let free.

Why her? Why not anyone else?

"We can't let you go. We already told you, you're about to shape the century, Ember." John said.

"Please," She sobbed, begging, "Just let me go."

Johns mouth stayed in a straight line as he watched her struggle and beg. Ward twitched every so often when she screamed, looking slightly uncomfortable.

Not a single person done anything as her screams filled the room, not a single head turned, no questions were asked.

"Wipe her." John stated.

a/n

i've had the rough draft of this chapter written for so fucking long and i'm so excited. a lot of you guessed embers backstory so well done for that <3

also for those of you who don't know, grant ward and john garrett are HYDRA agents from marvels agents of shield :)