Chapter 23. The Fireworks in His Heart

Start from the beginning

Y/N and Michael look between each other, Y/N eventually shrugs and grabs him by the hand, dragging him outside with her. Michael pretends to complain and whine about her holding his hand, because she has "cooties". But of course Y/N knows he was only kidding.

The sun was starting to set as they walked out the back door. They find William grilling some food, alongside his wife and Y/N's parents sitting on a porch swing, talking. Evan was sitting in the grass playing with some stuffed animals; Elizabeth runs over to him and immediately starts asking if she can play with him. The sight of the adorable children made Y/N smile to herself.

Michael's voice made her stop staring into space, "I'm gonna get a Coke love, you want anything to drink?"
She blushed slightly at the nickname, "Love?"
Michael shrugs, "I'm British, what can I say?" He attempts to act nonchalant, but in reality he was a little nervous calling her any romantic nicknames "Besides, you get upset when I call you Shithead."
Y/N laughs quietly and playfully punches his shoulder. "Oh be quiet, and get me a (soda name)."

Michael nodded and heads inside to grab the drinks, he promptly came back and handed her the beverage. "Here, follow me." He starts walking ahead of her. Y/N tilts her head slightly and hesitantly follows him. Michael stops in front of the small shed at the very back of the yard. "I like to sit up here sometimes, you get a great view of the fireworks." He says as he climbs up the building, he uses some nearby wooden crates as makeshift stairs. The shed wasn't tall enough to be frightening, and the roof was flat, perfect to sit on.

Y/N reaches her hand up, "Grab my soda, I don't wanna drop it." Michael reaches his hand down and grabs the drink from her, setting it beside his own. Y/N climbs the crates and scoots over next to Michael. She had to admit, the view of the sky was beautiful from up here. She looks over at Michael and feels her heart beat faster, oh how this boy made her heart race.

He was wearing a plain white shirt, blue jeans, and beat up red converse. His shoes had Sharpie marker all over them. She could make out a few crude saying that were written on his shoes. Presumably from his friends.
She couldn't help but notice that he also coordinated with the colors of the American flag. "Well aren't you festive?" She gestures to his outfit, "Red, white, and blue?"

He looks down at himself and hums, "Hm, I didn't even notice. Guess I did."
"Y'know, I have a question." Y/N stares up at the sky.
"What's up?"

"You and your family are British, your parents, your siblings, you, all born and raised in the U.K. Why do you celebrate Independence Day?"
Michael too stares up at the darkening sky, "I actually don't really know. Dad always says since we live in America now, we should celebrate your holidays. I like the Fourth of July though."

"Oh?" Y/N questioned, "How come?"
"I like fireworks. It's intriguing how simply lighting a fuse can make such a colorful explosion in the sky, and it's even more intriguing Americans think that signifies independence."
Y/N looks down at her shoes and nodded slightly, "Makes sense, I was just wondering."

Michael turns his gaze to her, "I think it's cute how curious you are..." he takes a sip of his Coke. Y/N looks up at him quickly, "You do?"
"Of course I do," he sets the bottle of soda down, "Ever since I've known you, you always ask questions. You ask questions about things and people, you would ask questions about me. It's charming."

"I guess I've never noticed that about myself. Asking questions is second nature, especially when it comes to you." She looks into his cool blue eyes, and they looked back into her e/c ones. "You're interesting Michael. The way you talk, the way you think, the way you carry yourself. I always want to learn more about you."

Y/N has noticed such a shift in the way Michael stares at her throughout the past month. He used to stare at her with a scowl, or a frown. He constantly looked irritated, or angry. But now the look is soft, loving, playful. His eyes were like mirrors, they reflected his emotions crystal clear.

A loud boom makes the two teenagers flinch and turn their heads towards the dark evening sky. A firework goes off, then another one follows. They make large colorful explosions in the sky. Elizabeth begins cheering happily, the colors excited her; and Evan stares at the sky in awe. Mom, Dad, William, and Vera all have smiles on their faces as they observe the variety of colors.

Y/N looks up at the sky with a joyful expression. Even if she wasn't smiling, you could see she was excited. She focused all her attention to the sights. Boom, boom, boom. The colors change from purple, to red, to orange, to everything in between.

Michael finds himself starting at something else, however. He finds himself starting at the girl more beautiful than any light show he's ever seen; more attention grabbing than any firework. Y/N.

She looked so innocent as she sat there, staring into the sky. Like a kid in a candy store. Michael could see her eyes sparkling. It was as if there were gleaming fireworks in her eyes, and every time he looks at her, he made a wish to be able to love her forever. He never wanted to loose her.

Y/N grabs his arm in excitement, "Michael, look at that one! It's so pretty." She points to a decently sized pink explosion. Michael smiles, "If that's pretty, you're a work of art." His accent made his voice sound romantically smooth. This made Y/N blush immensely.

Michael cups her cheek as he did earlier, before Elizabeth interrupted them. Y/N melts into his touch once again, this time unintentionally. "Michael you're missing the show. Wouldn't you rather look at the fireworks?"

"Why would I when I could look at you?" He pressed his forehead against hers, "Kiss me."
Y/N felt butterfly's in her stomach at his demand. Not to mention how sweet he is, he's a completely different person than when they first met. She wondered if finally, finally, she had broken down the walls of Michael Afton.

When their lips met Y/N felt a rush of heat cover her entire face. The kiss was short, considering their families were present, but it was filled with passion.

Michael never let go of Y/N's face as he had it cupped in his hand. In fact, Michael never even looked at the fireworks once. His eyes were on Y/N, and he never wanted to look away.