thirty four

SOPHIE'S POV

I slept in the pitch-black darkness of my living room when I woke up to my phone buzzing against my cheek.

I bolted up and answering it without looking at the Caller ID.

"Hey," The familiar voice sighed.

"Are you okay? Are you in pain? Do you feel okay-" I rambled on in one breath.

Mat laughed sadly, "Soph, I'm okay," He said. "Just a minor day-to-day injury."

I released a long breath, my body slightly shaking from held-in cries.

"Sophie, baby, don't cry," He worries.

"No, you got hurt I am supposed to comfort you. How are you? Do you want me to come?"

"You are allowed to feel, Sophie. We can be there for each other, it's okay to be worried." He comforts.

His words just make me tear up more. I put my hand in front of my mouth from sobs coming out. "Mat, I was so worried. I saw your face, you couldn't stand up and I know how much playing means to you and I was just worried."

"I know baby, it's okay. Let it out," He coos.

I sniffle a few moments later, "I'm okay, I'm okay."

"Okay, good, I'm glad I could help you let it out," I could hear the smile on his face.

"Back to the issue, what is happening? Where are you? Do you want me to come to you? Where ever you are, I don't care, I will come."

"Well, we have three games until we are back in New York so, they said I should just go back to New York because I can't play this week."

"We have a game against the Ducks tonight, and Avalanches on Tuesday," I wince knowing how much Mat will beat himself up for missing a game against the Avalanches.

"But, I will be in New York, sitting on my couch, watching my team play with my girlfriend," He starts, not even recognizing his mistake. "So a win and a lose," He sighs.

I choose to not correct him that I am not his girlfriend. "So you want me to come stay with you?" I smile shyly.

"Of course I do—unless-you know-you're busy, then you don't have to come," He rambled.

I smile, "Never too busy to take care of Mr. Barzal."

"Good, I am going onto a flight in the morning, I will be there by the afternoon."

I pull my computer out and go to search for Toronto to New York flights.

"There is one for tomorrow afternoon, so I will get there tomorrow night. Is that okay?" I ask.

"Yes, yes, it is very much so," He says excitedly.

I giggle, "Okay, Mr. Barzal I will see you tomorrow night."

"Goodnight Soph."