Teaser

Iris's POV

     'I was running away, I had to get away from them. It wasn't a matter of will, it was a matter of survival. I HAD to survive, I HAD to get away, I could not stay there any longer or by the winter I'd be six feet under the ground. They didn't have a care for me, they just wanted to use me for publicity and to look like the perfect family when in fact we were far from that.'

   'I heard him running after me, those big heavy stomps that sent vibrations through the ground as if a grizzly bear was running after me, it was my father. My father was always the one to chase after me whenever I decided to try and get away but this time he was not alone, my brother was in tow this time. My brother was much faster than my father and he was actually gaining on me, I felt fear and adrenaline rush through my veins. I started thinking irrationally and running as fast as I could even if it did wear me out, the thought of being caught by them made my body tremble. All the things that would happen flashed through my head; my heart felt like it was going 1000 miles an hour, my legs ached for me to stop but my brain simply wouldn't allow that. No way was I going to stop now, not when I had gotten so far, I knew I could never reach this point again if I were to stop. No matter how far, no matter how tired my legs were, no matter what they said, no matter the obstacle, I was NEVER going back to that house again and I will not let them catch me.'

   'However, an obstacle I never thought would occur creeped its way into reality, a cliff, I was running to fast to avoid it, so I aimed to clear it. It looked impossible and would be much more rational to jump down into the powdery snow, but I wasn't thinking straight so a took the leap and barely made it, pulling myself up and looking back to see my brother didn't clear the jump and fell, it got my father's attention away from me and I continued running. Ten minutes in I finally stopped and sat down in the snow, feeling the snowflakes land on my head, they danced around me like butterflies in the spring. This nice feeling was cut short the dreaded stomps of who could only be my father, he had followed me after all and was coming in hot. I tried to run away but he caught me and dragged me all the way back, my last bit of hope slipped out of my grasp, and I felt helpless again.' 

   I shot up in my bed, shocked and confused, tears were already falling from my face, but one thing stuck out to me. The room, the room was unfamiliar and there was someone else by my side that was familiar....