Chapter 16

Cinnia's POV
Elwin made his way over, flashing colored orbs around Calla. “She’s right. It looks like everything inside her is slowing down.”

“How long do you have?” Grady asked, holding Sophie steady as everything spun too fast.

Calla stared at her hands, where the green coloring was already spreading beyond her thumbs. “Sometime tonight the final shift will happen, and by morning you’ll find my tree.”

“Morning,” Sophie repeated, her voice breaking.

That was too soon. Way too soon. But I stayed strong. Sophie didn't do so well.

“Hey,” Keefe said as Sophie pulled away from Grady. He took her hands. “It’s okay.”

“How is it okay?” she yelled. “Calla’s dying.”

“I’m changing,” Calla corrected. “And I don’t mind—see?”

She offered Keefe her hand, and he placed his palm over hers and closed his eyes.

“She really does feel at peace,” he said.

“I am.” Calla wiped Sophie’s tears. “Please don’t cry for me. This is my happy ending. How many get to choose their last breath, and make it for the good of everyone?”

"But I’m going to miss you so much,” Sophie cried.

“And when you do, you can come sit under my tree.” Calla turned to Grady and Edaline. “I have one favor to ask. I must set my roots down somewhere. And the earth feels peaceful here.”

“Of course,” Edaline whispered. “Our home is your home.”

“Anywhere you’d like,” Grady added. “Even if you want the middle of a pasture.”

Calla pointed to a small hill overlooking the other pastures.

“That will be my place,” Calla said, “from this day forward.”

“We’ll make sure your Panakes is nurtured and protected,” Grady promised.

“No,” Sophie said. “There has to be something I can do—”

“There is,” Calla interrupted. “You can listen to my songs. And you can make starkflower stew and pour a bowl into the ground to share it with me. And you stay my brave moonlark, always.”

She reached for Sophie’s allergy remedy necklace, planting a kiss on the pin.

Then she pulled Sophie close for a final hug.

“You must go now,” Calla whispered. “I don’t want you to witness the shift. Go inside—all of you. Please.”

Everyone watched in silence as Calla climbed the hill—her hill. The last place she would ever stand.

“Go,” she said again, planting her feet firmly in the center. “Let us all find rest.”

She closed her eyes then, swaying with the breeze. The faintest hum of her melody drifted through the night, turning the air restful. Singing of the coming dawn.

“Goodbye,” Sophie whispered, so softly I was sure Calla couldn’t hear her.

Calla opened her eyes. “Farewell, Sophie Foster.”

We moved out of Calla’s sight, near a pasture filled with grazing griffins. The Council left quickly, promising they’d return in the morning to check the Panakes.

Elwin vowed to come as well, in the hopes that there’d be blossoms ready to harvest. None of the gnomes in Lumenaria were showing red yet, but the sooner they got the cure, the better.

“What about you?” Mr. Forkle asked me, Tam and Linh. “I can bring you to your family. Or, we have two tree houses that now have vacancies—regardless of whether you join our order.”

The twins and I exchanged a glance.

“If you mean that,” Linh said, “we’d like to take your offer.”

“Someday we’ll face our family,” Tam added. “But not until we’re ready”

"And I know that until I know who my mother is, I'll have no family." I said. Tam pulled me close to him. "You do have family. Us." Sophie said. I smiled at her.

“Fair enough,” Mr. Forkle said. “And what about you, Mr. Dizznee? I’m assuming you’ll be going home?”

Dex nodded. “Unless Sophie needs me.”

Sophie choked down the lump in her throat. “Give the triplets a hug for me.”

Dex hugged Sophie first, telling her to hit her panic switch if she needed him. She promised she would as he glittered away.

“Which leaves you,” Mr. Forkle told Keefe. “You can stay with Cinnia, Tam and Linh. Or I’m sure Alden has a place for you at Everglen.”

“We have one here as well,” Grady said.

“Wow, didn’t see that coming,” Keefe told him. “And thanks. But . . . I’m going back to Candleshade—and there’s no need for that tidal wave of worry you’re hitting me with, Foster. I’ll be fine.”

Mr Forkle made a path for us. We leaped to the treehouses. Linh pulled me away to her treehouse. "Goodnight!" I yelled to Tam. "Night!" He yelled back.

"It's about time Tam asked you out." Linh said as we lay in our beds, trying to fall asleep. I laughed. "It's true!" Linh laughed. "He's liked you ever since he set eyes on you." My eyes widened. "Really?" I asked. Linh nodded. "I've liked him since then too." I said. We laughed and talked for a little while longer before saying 'Goodnight' and actually going to sleep.