Chapter 13: 𝘔𝘰𝘮𝘮𝘢 𝘏𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘓𝘪𝘭' 𝘙𝘰𝘰𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳

Začít od začátku

We both felt the time crunch and bolted off to our classes without saying goodbye.

You've gotta talk to him.

I did, I insist. Last night. And now I'm late because of it.

Vixen scoffs. I meant about us. About the crash. And about you talking to me.

Wait –

I trip over the laces of my left shoe that've come undone. Luckily, I catch myself in the nick of time and spew all sorts of foul language that ought not to be repeated as I hurry forward, careful not to step on the loose, flying laces as I throw the front doors open and sprint down the hall. There's hardly anyone around.

No, no, no, no, no –

Belting an aggravated grunt, I pivot and sprint down the hall to our first class of the day, Viper's.

As I run, Vixen jabbers on, cranking the temperature on my temper dial up until it's at full blast and my patience is wearing dangerously thin.

Wait what? Wait like, no I'll wait to tell them? Because that honey is the worst idea ever. You already told Mav half the story! Just finish it! And he can tell Goose for you and that's that! Mission complete! She pauses. Unless you meant 'wait, where is everyone' in which case, yes, you are very very late -

Shut the Hell up please, Vix! I whine.

Right as she complies, I slide into a plain door, ramming my hip into it and forcing the door to swing open. I skid to a stop on the other side, and the door slams against the opposite wall, clanging for all to hear as every eye in the room turns my way, boring holes in my soul. I cringe momentarily, but the sudden assault of attention riles my self-esteem. As quickly as I entered, I shift posture, unfurling my spine, standing tall and lifting my head defiantly. Some of the boys clearly liked the change. Their mouths round out in silent 'o's while others shake their heads, no longer interested. I smirk. Behind me, I can feel the door start to droop back into place and I catch it with my foot, adding to it's momentum with a sharp kick. The latching of the lock melds with the squeak of my Nike Dunks on the slick tile.

Luckily Viper's not in quite yet.

"Stirrups! Up front!"

It's Goose, he waves like a giddy child, grinning ear to ear. I flash him a cheeky smile and speed walk to the front row, plopping down in the seat next to Goose. On his other side, Mav leans forward. I turn to him, grinning like an idiot, pleased with my grand - albeit tardy - entrance, but I'm met with a look of disappointment.

Something sour like hurt.

Before I can ask, Goose is all over me, bouncing in his chair ecstatically.

"They're flying in today, Stirrups! Wooooweee!"

"Geezes, Pheasant, calm down!"

Not even my heckling can deter Goose. He's dead set on seeing his wife and kid again, and I don't blame him. As I watch his smile light up the room, reflecting off his shades, I'm reminded of my family, back on the ranch, and I feel a pang of guilt for keeping away for so long. My physical distance can't be helped. I've got classes to attend, dog fights to practice. Still, with all my responsibilities, there's such things as phones and letters, and I haven't made use of either regarding my family in months. Hell, I haven't even spoken to my mom and dad since Vixen's funeral. Like the good folks they are, they showed up. Flew in, stayed a few days, tried to get me back together. They were so worried about me, and I really did put in some effort to seem alright...but that was all it was. Seeming, an act. Outside, I smiled, I laughed, I hugged them goodbye at the airport, but once they were out of sight, I stuffed away the charade. I let the poison on the inside bleed through my pores. I showed all the pain and sorrow to the world.