038 - The Best Version.

Start from the beginning

"I need my camera." Came the reply in a very familiar sharp tone. My brows furrowed in at the voice. Even in my dizzy and disoriented state, I could immediately tell who it was. Her voice has somehow been registered in my mind.

"Adela?" I called again, wanting to confirm if I was hearing right and if she was the one speaking to me right now.

"Come and meet me at Greenland Park in Amber Estate. Come with the Camera. You have ten minutes to show."

And just like that, she hung up.

What the fuck?

I pulled my phone away from my ear and stared at it like it was an alien that just descended from another planet, trying to understand what had just happened... trying to wrap my head around the fact that this girl just called me, disturbing my sleep and legit ordered me to come and meet up with her in ten minutes.

Just like that.

How did she even get my number?

Prefects group chat. Dhur. My subconscious mocked me. I hissed again, falling back first to my bed.

Adela is really something else. She was strange, acted strange too. Or maybe it was just me.

After our time together at the park that Sunday evening, I was actually looking forward to seeing her in school the next day. For some reason, seeing her made me more excited about resuming back to school after my... hiatus.

I had seen a different, less intimidating side to her that evening and I wanted to see more of her like that. She had apologized for the harsh words she says to me. She took me to her hidden spot in the park, a place she claimed to have never taken anyone to, not even her sister. She even gave me her camera to use.

She complimented me. Twice.

I thought I had found some sort of... friendship with her.

Only for me to resume school that Monday and Adela acted like I didn't exist. Yeah, she literally ignored my entire existence and treated me like I was breeze.

I saw her immediately after I had gotten to our wing that morning. A lot of guys had bombarded me to greet me, asking where I had been and why I had not been at school before the midterms. All the while the guys were talking to me, my eyes were on her, watching discreetly as she down the hallway with Lase by her side.

I was able to skip the guys, telling them I'd talk to them later, just so that I could get to Adela in time before she entered her class. So, I began to walk towards her, a small smile playing across my lips. She didn't notice me at first, engaged in an intense conversation with Lase. But then, she did.

Like she knew I was looking at her, walking towards her, Adela looked up and her eyes met mine. My lips had automatically stretched into a wider smile Andi rose my hand up to wave at her.

But she looked away, going right back into her conversation with Lase like she had not just seen me. The switch was so swift, so clean and it almost felt like I had imagined her looking at me. But I knew I didn't imagine it. And just before I could get to her, she turned with Lase and entered her class.

I was sure no one knew what had happened. No one had seen it happen, but it didn't make me feel any less embarrassed than I did.

And just like the pathetic human being that I was, I kept trying to get her attention throughout that week. Till I finally gave up, Adela spared me not even a glance.

I felt humiliated.

What was I even thinking? That she'd suddenly want to be friends with me just because we spent a Sunday evening together?