chapter three~ the first day

No response back from her.

Before our riveting small talk could continue a big yellow school bus pulled up in front of us. The doors opened and Ginny and I were greeted with a rather plump woman.

"Mornin' ladies." The driver spoke. "M'name's Darla. And I will be driving you to and from school."

Ginny and I started walking into the bus. I popped a seat near the back where I knew I wouldn't be bothered. I put in my head phones and let myself be encased by the music while I stared out into the grey Massachusetts morning.
~~~~~~
The halls of Welsbury High School were exactly how those cheesy Disney movies described them.

Teens scattered throughout the hallway, almost as if they were little birds in flocks trying to stay away from the apex predators. Well if I've learned anything from the movies is that; if you want to fuck with the eagles, you're gonna need to learn how to fly.

Suddenly the school bell brought me back to reality and I was hit with the fact that it's just a high school and teenagers have friends.

The good thing about the school I that it was pretty small and hard to get lost. So finding classes wouldn't be that hard.

~~~~~~

I walked into the AP literature class only to be met with rows upon rows with of teenagers in designer brands and fake unkept perms. No sign of a cool teacher in sight.

"Can I help you?" An older man said to me very slowly.

"Uh-" I tried to respond before he cut me off.

"Sorry I'll say in your language. Puedo ayudarle?" He said in the most American Spanish I've ever heard. I caught on to what he was doing right away. Why do people always assume I was just dropped in this country. So I'm my most confident Spanish I said.

"Hola señor, yo soy la nueva estudiante en su clase. Estoy muy emocionada estar aquí!"

He looked at me dumb founded. "Also, I speak English." I added.

"Oh! Well I'm glad we have a- uh- multicultural student in our class! I presume you haven't read the mandatory summer reading. Now Mirielle, the AP students take this class very seriously, so if you feel this too much I suggest you do yourself a favor and drop down to regular English or possibly...ELL. Now we cover all the greats, Salinger, Miller, Homer, Fitzgerald. Sixteen books in total, I can get you Spanish copies if you want." The teacher told me while handing me a piece of paper with the reading list on it.

I quickly grabbed it from him. "It's Elle." I stated walking away. I walked to the only desk available was next to a girl in a very bright pink jacket and wild hair. Then the bell rang and I took my seat next to girl.

"Welcome to AP English. Now hiding in the back you'll find our newest student Mirielle Del Gado. I trust you will make her feel welcome here." Our teacher spoke at the class while holding a stack of papers

"It's Elle!" I rolled my eyes from the back.

"I know it's our first day back from summer break but I thought it was an excellent opportunity for a pop quiz. Those of you who didn't do the summer reading of the crucible, you are in for a world of pain." The teacher went on. "Uh- don't worry Mirielle, I don't expect you to have read it."

Ok I'm sick of this guys shit. I raised my hand.

"Yes Mirielle..." The teacher rolled his eyes at me.

"There are sixteen books on this syllabus-"

"Yes like I said you can always drop down-" He went on

"Fourteen of them were written by men, fifteenth of them were written by white people. And I'm guessing the one book written by a black man will conveniently roll around during black history month. Am I right?" I look him dead in the eyes.

"Excuse me?" He questioned, turning bright red.

"I'm very serious about my education Mr.Gitten. And as your newest 'multicultural' student, I'm worried that I might internalize the main viewpoint, the view point worth studying in class, the viewpoint of 'the greats': is only that of the white man thus eradicating my voice as immaterial. Finally I'm worried I won't be stimulated intellectually." I said with nothing but a firm smirk on my face. Which made the whole class laugh. "Also, I've read the crucible. In English, so I think I should be just fine taking the pop quiz for today"

"Are you finished, Mirielle?" Mr. Gitten asked with sourness in his voice.

"No, please call me Elle." I smiled.

"Well I don't know how you did things at your last school, But here we don't tolerate political outbursts or grant standing at the expense of your peers' class time-"

Then the girl in the pink jacket raised her hand.

"Yes Maxine?" He raised his voice.

"Hi... I'm ... like also super concerned about my subconscious digestion of the superiority of the white male perspective. And also, I have period cramps so can I go to the nurse?" She smiled sarcastically.

After she was done she looked over at me and did a small hand clap.

AN: I think after this chapter I might write the rest of the book in third person