Let Me Hold Your Papers

Começar do início

"Alright," I told him. "I'll have the royal family look into it. It might be important."

"Just doing my job," he said.

I raised an eyebrow and didn't comment.

After school, I attended my internship. This time, I helped Rachel ship out all the invitations. She was responsible for putting the invitations inside and my job was to stick the labels on the envelope. We had three boxes finished by the time I had to go home.

Joseph waited for me with a snack. I gobbled the fruit and downed the water. I felt my eyes closing as he drove me home. Definitely should have waited to take my internship next semester. I regretted everything.

"Rin."

Yawning, I opened my eyes. Joseph was in the front seat, car stalled in front of my house. Neither of my parents' cars were in the garage. I sat up and finally realized Alexander sat beside me.

"Hey," I said drowsily, "what are you doing here?"

"I had Joseph pick me up," he said. "Here, let me help you out."

I couldn't remember how I got to my room. What I did remember was being in my room with Alexander helping me settle in.

"You okay," he said, taking me by the elbow.

He tucked me into bed and sat beside me. Now awake, I sat up. "I didn't expect you here, everything you alright? What happened?"

"It's okay," he said. "I'm fine. I wanted to see you."

Yawning, I rubbed my eyes. "Sorry, having trouble waking up. Been super tired lately. I don't know why."

"It's okay."

In silence, I leaned against his shoulder. How long had it been since we'd spent time like this? I jolted up.

"What's wrong?"

"My parents," I said. "When are they getting here?" Even to my sleepy mind, that didn't make sense.

"They're working late," he said. "The message is on the kitchen table."

"Oh, okay," I said.

It was now or never.

"I spoke to Cassidy," I whispered. "Lisa and I went to get ice-cream."

"Glad you could have fun."

"Cassidy told me I needed to talk to your mom."

Alexander went silent. Then, "did she say why?" he asked.

I couldn't tell if he was angry. Wordlessly, I grabbed his hand and held it.

"She said I needed her approval," I explained. "Cassidy also said I needed to put myself in the public eye more. People need to see."

"Cassidy isn't entirely wrong," he began.

"She told me to hold your papers."

At this, his chuckled. "That would get you noticed."

"Wants me to do it at the event."

The humor vanished from his face. "Rin," he began.

I couldn't bring myself to look at him. "It's okay," I said. "I don't want to put you in an uncomfortable situation."

He grabbed my face with both hands. "I would love nothing more than to have you at my side. I'll talk to Violet so we can get your wardrobe ready."

Leaning forward, I kissed him. Our foreheads touched.

"I don't know about my mom though," he admitted. "It might take some time."

"It's okay," I whispered. "I don't want to mess this up. I want to do this properly."

"Thanks for that. You're doing great by the way."

Nodding, I leaned against him again. At least one of us thought so.