Britney's face turned pink. "What did I do to deserve that?

Brian's smile was so warm and sincere, Amanda had to look away. "You invited me to your party."Then he added softly. "Thanks."

Bobby shook his head, and Amanda had the horrifying suspicion that Brian had confided to him what had happened.

Don't blush,don't blush! he glanced at Bobby but he was looking at his wife.

Leaning down he kissed Britney then nodded briefly to Amanda. "The fish weren't;t biting and it is too damn cold out there. Besides Brian can't seem to sit still today."

Brian pulled out a chair and straddled it, crossing his arms over the back of the chair. "Could have some coffee Brit? Then I need to talk to ya." He glanced at Amanda and smiled. "Hi, ah, Amanda isn't it?"

"Hello." Amanda mentally applauded her calm response. She was more than a little surprised Brian remembered her name. She prayed it was all he remembered. And then she look at him, and despite herself she remembered laying beside him in the pool house, remembered that magnificent body of his leaning towards her.... She looked away trying to collect her thoughts. Good looks only took a person so far,and from what she knew about Brian his had taken him around the block more than a few times. Last night had been a milestone in her life, to Brian it had probably been n more than a good time.

Amanda breathed in a sigh of relief when she realized he hadn't connected her to the party. His expression had been friendly, nothing more. Already he was ignoring her dismissing her easily.

"I 'll have the coffee ready-in just a minute." Britney was grinning affectionately at Brian obviously more than pleased to be catering to him.

Brian tapped his fingers on the table with an excess of energy. His gaze took a turn around the room, then settled on Amanda again. "So, what are you ladies up too today?"

She felt her heart flutter and color rise to her cheeks. Amanda wanted to smack herself. Enough was enough. She would not be an idiot around this man.She composed her feature and met his look squarely. "W were talking about the new sports program I am working on for the school." She paused, then decided to elaborate. "It is a way to help the kids who have trouble socializing. They are not bad kids but they just aren't sure how to conduct themselves with their peers. They need guidance and a chance to interact with supervision. If they are playing a sport they will be getting exercise burning off energy and learning to work together. I think the program will work great. I thought I would try basketball first.The kids have to play together but since it is not really a contact sport fights out to be minimum, Britney and I were just discussing how great it is that Bobby has agreed to be an instructor."

Brian listened, his eyes intent on Amanda's face, watching her so closely she felt herself near to blushing again. "Sounds like you really care about these kids."

His tone was soft, almost disbelieving and Amanda stiffened. "Of course I do. I care very much about all my students."

Brian rubbed his chin, still watching her. "And you really think you can make a difference?"

Amanda leaned back into her chair, forgetting her embarrassment, forgetting last night. The gall of the man to question her like this! With her hands in fist, she replied. "I will certainly do my best to. at least am trying to do something to help."

Bobby looked at Amanda then at Brian. A smile appeared. "I ah,suppose I should tell you something, Amanda, I wont be able to help you after all. Some things came up at the office."

His grin widened and he shrugged. "I talked o Brian about this morning and he agreed to do the project with you instead."

Amanda closed her eyes for a heartbeat, praying she hadn't heard that.But when she opened her eyes Brian was still watching her, his smile now smug.

She cleared her throat and shoved her glasses needlessly up the bridge of her nose. "I don't know Bobby." What excuse could she use after practically challenging the man to help. "Maybe that wouldn't be a good idea."

It was Brian who answered her. "Why not?"

Floundering, she racked her brain, but could come up with a valid reason. "You understand It will be three or four nights a week? And we need someone who will set a good example for the kids. Someone patient."

Brian raised his eyebrows looking affront "I would be a great example. Hell I am a lawyer, same as Bobby have been to college. I 'm articulate."

"You are even house broken," Britney added seeming to enjoy the situation.

He nodded. "Damn right." Then to Amanda. "You see. I would be perfect for this job."

"But..." The truth was, she simply want to work with Brian. Not now, not after last night."I don't know . Have you ever worked with kids? And remember these kids can be a little difficult."

Bobby interrupted. "Brian should understand them on a gut level, because he was always damned difficult, too."

Brian laughed. "So it is settled. When do we start?"

Amanda stood with as much aplomb as she could muster. Brian's eyes drifted over her body,almost out of habit, it seemed.but there was no sign of recognition in his expression. It rankled, even while she prayed he wouldn't make the connection. She tugged at the bottom of her tailored suit coat, smoothing it over her slacks. Then she used tactic that had worked with many rebellious students. She delibratlylooked down her nose at him. " I will have to let you know."

Brian nodded merely. "You do that."

Britney rushed forward to give Amanda a hug. "Give me a call later. Promise?"

"Of coarse,and thanks for the company, Brit. See ya later Bobby." She ignored Brian not feeling the least bit guilty about it, and exited the room, her back stiff, her tight braid pulling at her temples. She wasn't entirely out of the house when she heard Brian say "That has to be the prickliest woman I have ever met. I got the distant impression she didn't like me. Can you imagine?"

Bobby' s laugh was sharp." Unheard ofisn't it?"

There was a shrug in his tone when Brian replied. "There is just no figuring some women out"

Amanda allowed the door to slam just a bit too hard behind her..

What ya think? should I keep going? do y'all like it.. Let me know.. Thanks