Chapter 1

Alone?

"I'm leaving." Becca said with a sadness in her voice. I was super sad. I wanted her... But I understood. The test was coming up soon and I am terrified myself, even if I constantly remind myself to act like a man. At this moment I couldn't. Her eyes shone with tears, and soon she was crying. That made me do the same. I wouldn't be able to do this. I can't do anything without her. Especially... THIS! No way.

"W-when?" I asked, my voice cracking up.

"One week, Ryan. One week. We have one last week together. I-I don't want to lose you."

"I don't either. I don't want to go through this. Why are they doing this to us? Why?!" Sadness hit me. Why us?! Why at all?! Why force us to do something that we don't even know
about?! Just... WHY?!

My heart was beating faster and faster as I thought more about our situation. It was... Scary.

The next week was the week Becca would leave me. Leave me here, alone in this shit world, that no one can handle. Especially when they're alone, ditched by their friends. Well, when they feel like their friends ditched them.

I had one last hug from Becca and then she walked out the room. I watched her walk through the hallways leading to the door of the building until... A GUARD TOOK HER! I ran out the room and tried to get the guard to leave her.

As I stood in front of the guard, ready to speak, I noticed I didn't know what to say to him. My mind went blank. Think, think, think. I whispered hoping that I wasn't loud enough for the guard to hear... But then I got my plan.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked.

"Yes." the guard replied. "This young lady wanted to leave the building. I think she should know there's no escape. Or else there's consequences."

"No, no, no! I think there is a mis understanding here. She wanted to go to the bathroom." I said because the bathrooms are close to the door.

"Why is she crying then?"

"Her, umm, mother died... And she... umm... told me." I said while struggling through my words. But then I got it. "So she cried and then went to the bathroom to get a tissue."

"She passed the bathroom."

"She... Daydreams alot." I said, finishing up my lies proudly.

"Ugh. Okay then." the guard said and Becca came running into my arms.

"I... I won't leave." she whispered when the guard left, catching her breath. I felt bad for her, and didn't want her to experience the test, but at the same time, was relieved that I didn't have to be sent behind this damn gate without my first and only friend. She's my best friend.

The next day was graduation...