Chapter 16: Partner in Crime

I quietly sat in the back of my English class, reading my book. Mr. Frankson waved his ruler around, tapping it on the whiteboard every five seconds. I'd occasionally catch myself glancing at the door, hoping Peter would come rushing in with his white tardy slip. 

After last night's events, I didn't have a reason to be mad when he didn't show up to class on time anymore. But, that still didn't stop me from worrying about him.

My loud thoughts ruined my focused mood. I sighed as I shut my book and lightly tossed it on my desk, catching Gwen's attention. She, unlike most of the class, enjoyed listening to Mr. Frankson's lessons. The other day she told us he was "unique". That's one word I'd use.

"What's got you on edge?" She asked, nudging my shoulder lightly. I shrugged, slouching in my chair.

"I was just thinking," I muttered, low enough so Mr. Frankson wouldn't hear. He was too busy showing pictures of his cat.

"About Peter?" Gwen assumed, avoiding my eyes. I pressed my lips together in embarrassment.

"Yeah. He's just been missing class so much, it makes me wonder-"

"Don't start stirring up scenarios that aren't true. I'm sure it's personal stuff he's dealing with." She lowered her head, referring to Uncle Ben. Peter's over that already, but hearing his uncle's name still hurts.

"You're probably right."

Gwen uncomfortably shifted in her seat. It was obvious she wanted to say something.

"Rose-"

"I'm here! Right here!" Peter came sliding through the door, shoving a paper in Mr. Frankson's hand. He stood silently, too stunned to scold him. Peter circled to the back of the class, flashing a cheeky grin at us. But, before he had the chance to sit down, the sound of the bell rang through my ears.

"Right on time, Parker," Frankson commented sarcastically, moving aside as the three of us walked out of the class.

As soon as we stepped out of the teacher's view, Peter grabbed my face and smashed his lips onto mine. My boredom immediately washed away at his delicate touch. I wrapped my fingers around his backpack strap, slowly pulling him away. Gwen stood before us, her jaw dropped. We watched as her notebook slid out of her hands, landing splat on the ground.

I wiped my lips as if it would wipe the kiss off with it, "I was going to tell you sometime today, but-"

"Shut up." She interrupted, making eye contact with Dianne, who was at her locker a few feet away.

Dianne dragged herself over with a defeated look on her face. Gwen opened her hand out to her, catching the ten-dollar bill Dianne gave her. They both exchanged smiles, shaking hands.

"I told you it'd take them a week," Gwen said victoriously, waving the money in Dianne's face.

"Yeah, but three weeks just seemed more realistic. Rosalie takes me as the type of person to take things slow, you know?" Dianne spoke as if I wasn't standing right next to her.

"Hold on," Peter stretched his arm out in between the two girls, "Did you guys bet on our relationship?"

I couldn't help but laugh at that. There was nothing wrong with it, but I didn't see Gwen as the type to do so.

"Technically, it was to see how long it would take you guys to confess your undying love for each other," Dianne said in a swooning voice, mimicking kissing noises.

Peter rolled his eyes, interlocking his fingers with mine. The butterflies in my stomach just multiplied at his, still, unfamiliar touch. I'll get used to it eventually, but it will always make me feel giddy.