hurting the one I love

Start bij het begin

"Then we…. You're not listening are you?" said the woman, Karen maybe.

"Huh… sorry what?" said James dumbly.

"I didn't think so," said Karen getting up.

"Karen, wait…" said James half heartedly.

"It's Catherine," she said, "are you really sleeping with so many women, you can't keep the names straight," then she stormed out.

"No, I'm not," said James quietly.

He hadn't slept with anyone since Lily. He screwed up every date he went on, he always went back to thinking about Lily. Did he do the right thing by ending it? Should he file for divorce? Should he go and speak to her? They had sort of left everything up in the air. Neither had filed for divorce, but they hadn't spoken in almost a year. She could be dead for all he knew.

"Sirius, what the hell happened?" James shouted. He had just been called to an emergency at St Mungo's maternity ward.

"Bastards broke in, and tried to take the newborns," said Sirius.

"Bastards. What can I do?"

"Um… I don't know how to tell you this, but Lily is here"

"Is she alright?" he asked automatically, his heart clenched in fear.

"Yeah, she's in the waiting room, with uh… the rest of the… mothers," said Sirius uncertainly.

"Mothers… she had a baby?"

"Yeah, you want to go and…."

"No, it can't be mine we've been separated for too long," said James sadly.

"Alright then, but you have to go into the waiting area, the mothers are becoming hysterical. The healers are with the babies trying to determine whether the babies do belong with the mothers that claim them…it's a big mess," said Sirius clearly stressed out.

"Alright," said James as he braced himself.

He walked into the waiting room. It was crammed with hysterical women in dressing gowns, screaming for their babies.

But through all them he saw her, she was the only one not in a dressing gown. She was wearing jeans and the green top he had given her for Christmas last year. She was hunched over her knees biting her nails.

"Finally someone, that knows what's going on," one of the mothers shouted when she spotted him.

"Where are our babies?"

"Listen ladies, the healers are with your children checking them over and making sure that they belong to who you say they belong to," said James, "So if you all just stay calm"

"That is easy for you to say, you aren't being kept from your child"

An hour later
"Okay, ladies you can see your babies now," said Sirius coming into the waiting room.

"Okay, Anderson…" announced Sirius, when the nurse brought in a baby, his mother got up and embraced her baby.

Finally it was just Lily left in the waiting room, she had noticed James a while ago, but couldn't bring herself to say anything or even look at him.

"And finally, Harry Potter," said Sirius with a knowing look.

The nurse brought in 3 month old Harry, who was the spitting image of James, except he had Lily's eyes.

"Thank god," said Lily almost in tears, "Thank you for looking after him, I only brought him in for his check up"

"He's fine, completely healthy," said the nurse kindly.