34. Just A Thought.

Start from the beginning

"Okay, Drama Queen. Here. Happy." I say and give him the biggest of gifts.

"What is it?" Parth asks in excitement and when the wrappers are removed, he takes me in his embrace tightly and kisses my cheek, "Best Sister Ever."

I bought Bouzouki, a musical instrument. Parth knows how to play many musical instruments, so this would be a new challenge for him. As he goes away, to learn the new lessons, Nanu and Nani talk about what they heard about some rumours and I tell them that the woman was not one to judge a person like that, especially Mayra.

"You are right. Mayra should not be judged by her parents, but her behaviour. She is a well-behaved child and accomplished, too. I bet ‌boy isn't half as talented as Mayra." Nanu says with a different glint in his eyes.

"Yes. She is super talented and always follows her passion. But the good thing is she has deep-rooted family values." Nani says with the same glint.

"Nanu! Nani! What are you at?" I ask suspiciously.

"Nothing." They say together, and when I raise my brows, they sigh.

"Let's talk, Aru. Come." Mami says and asks me to follow her.

We walked up to Mami's room and met Veer's nanny trying to catch him as he wobbled halfway and fell when I caught him and said, "You are walking way too fast, little man."

"Bua." He says and pats my cheeks with his hands.

"And you have called me more appropriately. Not Bhut." I say and giggle and he laughs too.

"We will see him. Take a break." Mami says and the nanny nods and leaves.

"So why are they praising Mayra so much?" I ask as I hold Veer.

"Ma?" Veer says in question and looks around.

"We are not praising her. We are stating facts which are clear to us as day." Mami says as she puts clothes in her wardrobe.

"Okay." I say and try to distract Veer.

"But we have been thinking about her a lot lately. Just a thought in a certain way." Mami says and somehow I know where this is going.

"And what are those thoughts, actually?" I ask.

Mami sits beside me and her expression tells me she is going to say her deepest secret, "I like Mayra."

"Okay." I say after a few seconds.

"You didn't understand. I like Mayra to be part of our family through Shaurya." Mami says and I understand why she was nervous.

"Okay." I say.

"She is such a nice girl. And since the day Veer has called her Ma, I get flashes of her good deeds and her smiles in front of my eyes." Mami says.

"Okay." I say.

"And she has also become a good family member. You know Mayra and I have one thing in common. We both are super serious about bargaining." She says.

"Okay." I say.

"What okay, okay? Say something more. I am confused whether you are thinking the same thing or are you not in our favour?" She asks.

"Your choice is good, Mami." I say.

"I know. But it was your Nanu who suggested it after you both left after Raksha Bandhan." She is ever so modest.

"I was thinking the same thing. But at the end of the day, it is Shaurya Bhai and Mayra's decision. If they don't like each other, we can't do anything." I say and put Veer on the bed when he yawns.

"You are right. They have to live together for life. We would grow old and leave. Veer would grow up and leave too, to live his life. The only person who stays with us is our spouse. So it all depends on them. Though I know for Shaurya, Mayra is the best and only option. I know that my Shaurya would do his best to make Veer's life better. But Veer needs a mother, and he already chose his mother. More like God chose it. Why would they send Mayra into Veer's life if it wasn't meant to be that way? Others might not understand their relationship. But a mother like me could understand it very well. Veer could not get a better mother like her and he deserves a mother like her. We both know that." Mami says and I feel something different in her eyes.

"I feel that too. Sometimes I feel like Mayra and Veer are meant to be mother and son. I know it sounds crazy, but they are so happy when they are together." I say and look at Veer, who perks up at only mentioning Mayra.

"That is why I want you to talk about it to your family first and try to know what Mayra wants. Shaurya is my responsibility. I will convince him to move on in his life for Veer and himself." She says.

"I will try my best." I say with a smile.

"Thank you, dear. But make sure she doesn't decide because of Veer. Mayra should say yes to her happiness, not because of some emotional pressure." She says and I nod.

"I don't know if she would say yes or no. But if she says yes, I bet half of her reason to yes would be you, not Veer. Where could she find such an understanding mother-in-law?" I ask and pinch her cheek.

"Oh-ho, Aru." She says as she blushes and swats my hand away.

After playing with Veer for some time, I drove towards my home. The things which Mami said had assured me that my family really like Mayra a lot and really want her to be part of their family not because they want someone to marry their divorced son but because they see Mayra for what she truly was. And like the saying goes, 'Only a discerning eye can value finer things'.

And my family doesn't really want to waste another second and lose such a diamond as Mayra. Even I want her to be my Bhabhi more than anything and feel a little giddy about it. But not only my opinion matters. And I think the best way to approach this topic is to talk with Dadu first.