41. Book 3: Fireworks

You haven't spoken to Hakuji in about two months. He tried messaging you and getting you to talk when he found you on campus, but eventually got the hint that you wanted to be left alone. You busied yourself with your studies. It was easy to avoid him the second month with exams and summer break coming soon. 

"Y/n, what are your plans for the break?" Douma asked as he twirled his straw gently in his drink.  He stopped trying to get you to tell him why exactly you essentially broke it off with Hakuji. He's been your shoulder to cry on in this time, though you stopped going to him with how many times it turned into a mutual crying session. 

"I'm going back home to my dad, that's pretty much it," you admitted before you solemnly drank from you cup. "I'm going to head back, Douma. Thanks for having me," you murmured as you started to leave the table.

"Oh, but Moriyama San should be here soon-" he tried to argue, but you were hellbent on leaving. "Okay, bye!" He called after you as you left.

You dragged yourself back to your dorm, tossed your keys into the nearby dish and kicked your shoes off. "Mh..."

Promptly, you crawled into your bed. This was for the best. You'd get over it. You turned your head slowly, only to be met with the pink face of the axolotl Hakuji had made for you. You buried your face against it, inhaling it's flowery scent.

It was in that moment, you realized you never listened to the message he left for you on it. Curious, you pressed it's paw.

I love you. forever and always, Y/n.

Tears welled up in your eyes that you quickly swiped away. If you two were to stay together, things would just repeat again like it had in the past. You had to break the cycle.

Pulling the plush closer to you, you curled into a sad ball. This was for the best.

---

"This is not good for either of them," Douma declared.

Kazuo stirred his straw quietly, "it isn't our place." 

"They're not going to fix it on their own. Think of it as a little nudge." He bounced up in his seat.

"it isn't our place."

"I think I have a plan!"

A deep sigh pulled from the other male, he wasn't going to be listened to. "Douma..."

"Okay, listen up!"

---

You don't know when you fell asleep.

When you checked your phone, you had a message from Douma that you promptly ignored.

Your days were quiet when you returned home for break. 

You sat at the table, your eyes downcast as you stewed in your self afflicted punishment. "Dad," you said suddenly.

The white haired male pulled his attention from the stove to you. "Yes, Y/N?"

"If you knew you and Mr. Kubo we're destined to get together, but every life time beforehand one of you dies before the other, sending the living one into despair for the rest of their life, would you break it off before it happens again?"