Loyalty in Shifting Sands

Start from the beginning

Exhaustion swept over her. "But I have no rupees for the night."

"It's alright. Many have struggled since the Calamity, I will pay for your fare."

"Thank you."

The Hylian took Esosu over to the stable, then paid for her to have one of the softer beds. "Rest well, I have to tend to the horses. I'll be around if you need me. Hylia bless you."

Esosu settled in the bed, looking up at the embroidery that decorated it. Attached to her sword belt, she found a sack containing several valuable gemstones and a few pieces of flint. Relief replaced exhaustion. She could sell the gemstones to steady herself. Hopefully she could find a village looking to hire a Gerudo, as the gemstones would only last so long. Where was that village that Zelda's husband was from? What was it called again?

Nevertheless, beginning a new life was a full time job. Perhaps she could acquire a bow from a monster or ruins and awaken the hunter within her. She could feed herself and sell extra meat and hides for when the gemstones ran out. She would not change her name, she might as well subject to Chieftain Akeku- no- just Akeku's desires. Her Chieftain was named Urbosa, and her Goddess, Hylia. Urbosa was willing to give her strength for an entire world and not leave the broken helpless. Until Esosu's dying day would Urbosa be her Chief. Lady Zelda would forever be just that. Never smeared with the title "Princess of the Fallen," but forever respected as a lady.

Pleased with her emotional settlement, morning came swiftly. She rolled out of bed to be met with the crisp breeze of a Hyrule morning.

"Cold, ma'am?" The stable master asked without a hint of offense. "It's definitely colder here than in Gerudo. You might try Rito Village to the north or Kakariko and Hateno to the east. Clothing for cooler locations is sold in all three towns. I'd imagine Hateno has the most rounded gear, as the weather is moderate and the village is mostly farmers."

"Hateno?"

"Ah yes, you're from Gerudo. Pardon me. Our late Prince Link was raised in Hateno. Hylia bless his young soul."

Sorrow filled Esosu's heart. "May he rest in peace. I... knew his wife well. Were there any survivors?"

"None from the battlefield. Duchess Sydnei survived the night, as she was in Hateno, but the rest of the Royal Family perished. King, Princess, Prince, and the little one of course."

"Is the Duchess still in Hateno?"

"Of course! She's but a small child!"

"Well, then it looks like I know where I'll go next. How do I get to Hateno?"

"Ah! Follow the southern road until it turns east towards the Dueling Peaks. The stable just past the mountains will have precise directions from there."

"Thank you so much." She paused for a beat. "Hylia bless you."

"You as well. Have a safe journey."

Esosu continued her trail on foot, following the road to the secluded Hylian village. She made her way quickly to avoid any monsters or Guardians in the burned central province until she arrived at Dueling Peak Stable.

"Ah! Welcome to our humble stable. It's not often that we have Gerudo visit. How may I help you?"

"Hello, I'm looking for Hateno Village. The master of another stable said you could show me the way?"

"Of course, ma'am." He stepped out of the stable and pointed northeast. "This road we're standing on will fork up ahead. Turn right at the fork. If you see the fort, covered in Guardian remains, you're on the right road. Continue straight on that road until you arrive at the village."

"Thank you."

"Anything else? You sure you don't need a horse?"

"I have no horse, sir. And I'll be alright, I made it all the way here on foot."

"Alright, safe travels."

"Hylia bless you." She offered, feeling a sense of freedom while saying it.

"Hylia bless you as well, ma'am. May you find what you're looking for."

Esosu made her way swiftly to Fort Hateno, then paused at the field of Guardians that had wreaked havoc only a few months before. Tears sprung to her eyes as she spent a moment of silence at the fort for all who had fallen there. Although she didn't know who they were, she valued their sacrifice as Urbosa had.

The trail from Fort Hateno to its namesake village was long and somber. Animals that had decorated the paths before then were gone now. Light fell on a cemetery placed in a small inlet of the cliffs, highlighting each stone.

Perhaps... they buried their prince here...

When Hateno finally did arrive, after a long trek upwards, she was indeed greeted at the gate by a heavy-set farmer. "Welcome to our humble village! If you need anything, please ask."

"Do you perhaps know where Duchess Sydnei is? I'm... a friend of her late brother's wife."

Tears fell from his eyes. "He was a good man. Shame he was taken so soon. Sydnei is home, she hasn't really come out since he died." He pointed at a large house out of the way.

When she went over and knocked on the door, a man with tear-stained eyes answered. "You look... familiar."

"My name is Esosu. I'm the former Captain of the Palace Guard. I'm looking for Duchess Sydnei."

He turned into the house, but he didn't look any less somber. "Sydnei?"

A small, blond haired girl slowly approached them. Had she not known better, Esosu could have mistaken the small girl for Link and Zelda's own child. A princess.

"Hello, Duchess Sydnei."

Sydnei looked up with aching eyes. "You're... Lady Urbosa's best friend..."

"I am..." She smiled softly. "I've come to see you, and to submit myself to whatever you or this village might need. I'd rather spend the rest of my days serving the kingdom my chief loved instead of following a chief I cannot trust." Esosu lowered to her knees, holding out a hand for the small child. "As Lady Urbosa was for Zelda, I will be here for you until my dying day. A Gerudo's word is not swiftly broken."