Off With Her Head

I’ve always wondered what it would be like to die. As an Eternal, I was immortal. I knew we could get injured, bleed, and bruise, but I wasn’t sure what would happen if someone went for the head or the heart, or if, god forbid, Ajak wasn’t around to heal us. I wasn’t scared to die; after over a millennium, I had lived enough life that I felt fulfilled. In fact, sometimes I welcomed the thought of no longer being obligated to do Arishem’s bidding. So, while awaiting my trial in the dank cellar prison, I wasn’t freaked out about my fate. God, I’m fucking morbid. 

“What are you in for?” an older woman with a yellowing crooked grin and small watery eyes whispered in the dark. 

“Assault and witchcraft. You?”

“Thievery. Just wanted some bread for my grandkids, but couldn't afford it.” 

“I’m sorry, that’s awful.”

“That’s life.”

“It shouldn’t be.” 

“Alright, which one of you is Gwendolyn Shafthold?” a deputy calls into the cell. 

“I think that’s me.” It’s a sucky alias, but hey, I had to think of something. The deputy unlocked the cell and grabbed me roughly by the arm; another guard stepped forward to lock the cell behind us. Shackles were placed around my wrists, the irons digging into my skin. 

“Walk,” the deputy ordered, shoving me towards the stairs. I stumbled forward, almost falling onto the bottom step. The dull blade of a small dagger was pressed into my spine as we ascended the stairs. “Don’t try anything.” 

I felt sick as we climbed upwards towards the courtroom. I could fake calm and confidence, I could joke about being locked away and killed, but actually facing it was a completely different story. The trial was open to the public and witch trials were very popular with the nobility of medieval Europe, so it was no surprise how packed the courtroom was. I quickly spotted Ajak and Sersi in the crowd, hidden amongst the small number of peasants allowed in court. But, sitting front and center was the one person I had specifically told not to come: Druig. 

He and Makkari had both insisted on coming to the trial, but I had ordered them to stay put; Makkari could still be charged with witchcraft and Druig would try to interfere. But did this man ever listen to me? No! 

“féin a iompar (behave),” I grunted. “No mens moderatoris.” 

He nodded, his eyes fixed on me in a steely gaze. 

The blade dug deeper into my back. “Quiet, wench.”

Druig’s jaw twitched. 

“Pestilentia in vita tua,” I hissed. (A plague on your life) 

“My ears are too pure for your evil tongues, witch.”

“It’s Latin, you idiot.”

I yipped as the blade tip penetrated my skin. 

“I said quiet.” 

“Gentlemen of the jury, we are here today to hear the case of Gwendolyn Shafthold, accused of two counts of assault and witchcraft. What say you?” The judge announced.

“Is there any evidence?” one juror asked. 

“Bring forth the witnesses.” 

The two men I had “assaulted” strode into the courtroom, noses turned upward as if pretending to be as important as the men allowed to sit the jury. I sneered at them and then smirked, enjoying the look of fear that flashed across their bruised faces. 

“What say you?”

“That woman and her witch sister attacked us at the market. She messed with our minds while her friend performed devil magic with her hands and then when we sent for the constable, she advanced. I know never to hit a lady, but I am sorry to say I was tempted.”

“My apologies, good sirs,” the judge said sympathetically. 

“They’re lying!” I scoffed. 

“Silence! You will not speak unless I permit you to.” 

“No! I will speak when I feel like it. Those two ‘good sirs’ are liars and bullies! They went after my friend and I was protecting her! And who cares if I’m a witch, at least I have a brain, unlike you fine gentlemen who couldn’t tell the difference between a horse and an ass!” 

A collective gasp rippled through the courtroom, a few of the women clutching their jewels. 

“So what if you believe I am damned or ruined. You will soon learn I am damnation and ruination!”

“Off with her head!” the jury demanded. Their fury was clearly evident, their faces redder than the lobsters they fed to criminals. (I had one the night before, it was quite yummy) 

“I don’t think so, jackasses.” 

“Detain her! To the guillotine she goes!” the judge ordered. 

I summoned some UV and broke through my shackles, throwing back an elbow into the deputy’s throat. He released a choking breath and grabbed at his neck. Several other guards rushed me, but I was ready. I threw my hands up and summoned the shadows, throwing us all into complete black. Several people were screaming now, calling out “witch” and “it’s the devil,” freaking out about the sudden absence of light.

A hand seized my wrist and I instinctively kicked the person’s shin. 

“Ow, darling, I’m trying to help you,” Druig hissed. 

“Oh god, love, I’m so sorry. You can’t just grab me like that!” 

“I’m sorry, but we really need to go.”

“Wait a minute, how’d you find me? I’m usually the only one who can navigate the dark.”

“I can sense you.”

“Aw, that’s kinda sweet.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. We need to go, you can swoon later.” He slipped his hand off my wrist and into mine. 

There was still chaos happening around us; people running about with their heads cut off, trying to find a way out. 

“What about Ajak and Sersi?”

“Right here,” Ajak said. I jumped, she was right next to me. “I can sense your heartbeat.”

“Why can you all do these cool things?” 

“If it makes you feel any better, I can’t sense a damn thing right now,” Sersi added. “Now can we get out of here please?” 

“Everyone hold on, it’s shadow travel time. Man, I love witchcraft.”

“Eri, it’s not witchcraft,” Ajak chuckled. 

“Feels like it sometimes. Okay, keep your hands and feet inside the chariot at all times or risk it being ripped off by a very strong wind, and-”

“Ereida!” three exasperated voices whispered loudly. 

“Right, sorry, away we go.”