02 || Diagon Alley

Perhaps Katie's favourite place, besides the Appleby Arrows Quidditch grounds, was Diagon Alley. She never tired of the yearly visits there towards the end of the summer, even if the previous two trips had solely consisted of shopping for Chris' school supplies. Mr and Mrs Blair had been sure to buy Katie and Leo the biggest ice creams they could from Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour to keep them happy. Sometimes Katie was even allowed to buy a little trinket or a poster from Quality Quidditch Supplies too.

Even before Chris had started his education at Hogwarts, the Blairs had visited Diagon Alley for a day of shopping every summer. It was a routine that Maria had as a child, so she opted to continue it.

This particular year, however, was very special. Katie was bursting with excitement, fighting back giggles of glee as she and her family wound their way through the bustling Diagon Alley. All around Katie, families raced by, witches and wizards purchased things that they needed or desperately wanted, and some loudly complained about large prices.

When Maria suggested that their first stop be to Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occassions, Leo shamelessly whined about how boring that would be; Anthony offered to take him to Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour while Maria went to Madam Malkins with Katie and Chris to purchase their school robes.

They were greeted at the door by Madam Malkin herself, who jostled over, smiling brightly. She was already familiar with Chris and waved him towards the back of the shop, where a second witch would see that he was fitted for his robes.

Madam Malkin then turned to Katie. "First year, I presume?"

As Maria opted to browse the shop, Katie followed behind Madam Malkin. She stood Katie on a stool next to Chris, who was already climbing down. His fitting had been finished rather quickly. He grinned at his sister before walking away with the other witch to pay for his robes.

Madam Malkin pulled out a measuring tape and got to work on taking Katie's measurements.

"Any idea what house you'll be sorted into?" Madam Malkin asked. Katie doubted that she actually cared what house she was sorted into—she was just trying to make conversation.

"Gryffindor, I expect," Katie answered. "My whole family have been Gryffindors. Even my grandparents, both sides."

Madam Malkin slipped her measuring tape inside her pocket and stepped back, giving Katie an odd sort of smile.

"Ever heard of Sirius Black?" she questioned. Katie blinked, taken aback and unsure if she had heard Madam Malkin correctly. Of course she had heard of Sirius Black! He was an infamous murderer, locked away in Azkaban for killing twelve Muggles. Katie was terrified of him, like any sensible person, and she had no idea why Madam Malkin would bring him up, unprompted.

"Of course I have!" Katie sounded just as shocked as she felt. "What has he got to do with anything?"

Madam Malkin gave a shrug of her shoulders as she helped Katie put on a pair of black robes. "Well, he came from a family of Slytherins, but he was sorted into Gryffindor," she explained. "Your family's houses can certainly influence yours, but it's not always the deciding factor."

Katie nodded along, considering Madam Malkin's words. She had never really given much thought to Sirius Black's Hogwarts house, or the house of anybody she didn't personally know, for that matter. Historically speaking, Slytherin had produced the largest number of Dark witches and wizards. Katie had always tried to be rational, telling herself that all Slytherins couldn't possibly be awful, but the stories that Chris brought home from Hogwarts during the holidays made this hard to believe. Not to mention the less-than-fond opinion Katie's parents had always expressed of Slytherin house and the people in it.