Chapter 11 - Dvalin

After I left, I directly went to ask Cloud Retainer for direction. She on the other hand just threw a map at me pointing at a cliff northeast of Mondstadt, before going back to fiddle with some new Inazuman technology she had gotten from who knows where.

 "It should be around here."

 Starsnatch Cliff.

 I started walking up to the top of the cliff hoping to find Venti somewhere around here. I really did find him, but the situation is a bit...

 A blue dragon, who I could only assume was Dvalin, was lying on the ground, tail curved, protecting the one sleeping beside him.

 Venti was sleeping, leaning against Dvalin, using his wing as a blanket.

 Dvalin, noticing my presence, lifted his head, bearing his teeth at me with a low growl, as if afraid to wake the sleeping bard.

 I felt the wind rise, getting more violent by the second. The first thing I did was take a step back, and put my spear on the ground, before taking another step backward.

 The dragon looked at me for a moment, then at my spear and back at me. After that, I saw my spear fly up, landing in front of the dragon before he put his paws over it, glaring at me once again.

 "I didn't come to harm you, I just came to see Venti." I tried calming him down.

 He obviously didn't believe me, as the wind started rising once again.

 Oh dear archons, how do I convince a dragon not to kill me?!

 Then it hit me.

 That might work.

 I pulled down my collar, turning my head slightly so that the dragon could see the glowing mark on the back of my neck.

 For a moment I thought I saw him look completely dumbfounded. He then turned to look at Venti before looking back at me with understanding.

 He lifted his wing covering Venti, his intent obvious: You can come over now.

 I slowly walked over, sitting down next to Venti. The next moment, however, I found myself pushed down, enveloped in a hug.

 "Xiao, my xiao..." Venti murmured, still asleep.

 I heard a snort above my head and as I looked up, I saw Dvalin shake his head in defeat.

 He lowered his wing, covering both of us, and lay back down to sleep.

 I could see that he had somewhat lowered his guard, or maybe he just didn't think much of my strength. He didn't trust me completely though. That could be seen by the fact that when he lay back down, he made sure to lie right on top of my spear, making it impossible for me to access.

 'Hah! What a day.' I thought resigning myself to my fate, allowing Venti to hug me as I fell asleep.

Double chapter today! Or maybe not it depends on where you live.