02

My neck is in pain and Anne and Gemma are looking at it. It felt like I was burned by a rod; the pain was excruciating. 

They begin whispering to each other and they look at me. “Mae,” Anne says, my eyes looking at her.

“Come with me,” she says, my head nodding.

They show me my neck and I gasp, a paw print displayed on my neck. I touch it, but it doesn’t feel like anything. It’s like a tattoo.

“What is this?” I ask, Gemma’s brown eyes looking at me with utter sympathy.

“I don’t know, in all honesty,” she whispers, but Anne says she knows. She turns her sleeve up and I see she has one on her forearm, my lips pursing.

“It’s the mark,” she says, my fear rising.

Before I even register, my body runs to the front door in a frantic rush. I run for a while until I hear a growl, my body turning to see a wolf looking at me.

My hands move in front of me and crouch down, trying not to get hurt. I feel a cold, wet nose hit my palm and I look up in fear, the wolf sitting and looking at me with big green eyes. The fur is a brown color and I adore the beauty it holds. It’s so beautiful, but so dangerous.

I’m hesitant before I run my hand over the snout, the animal moving into my touch. What did I do to have this huge animal treat me as if I’m its master; like a dog and owner?

Hesitantly, I stand and the animal does as well, the wolf huge in comparison to me. Its head leans down and I brush my fingers over its fur, its snout leaning against my neck. It licks my wounds and I stiffen, its head moving to my back. It pushes me back towards the cabin the family lives in, my eyes watching the wolf run off.

When I walk in, I’m met with shocked eyes and jaws dropped. “How the hell did you do that?” Gemma asks, my shoulders shrugging.

Anne hands me a cup of tea and we sit at the table, her hand grabbing my arm.

“Did the wolf…touch this?” she asks, my eyes looking down at my arm. It’s healed.

“Yeah,” I say, startled at the sight.

Gemma sits beside me, my eyes watching as Harry storms into the house. He rushes down the hall and shuts another door, Anne sighing heavily.

“He’s not very welcoming like he used to be,” she explains, my head nodding.

“It’s alright,” I say, her fingers moving through her hair lightly.

“He lost his friends in an accident last year,” Gemma says.

I know the feeling.

“Since, he’s been moody and angry. He can’t find the good in anything. So when he brought you here we had hope but after this morning…” Anne trails, my hand touching my neck again.

“It’s a mark that won’t come off. It's permanent,” Gemma explains, my eyes widening.

“I wish we could explain it to you but someone else has to,” she continues, tilting her head to the hallway. They want Harry to explain this to me?

“He won’t be easy to talk to but you are more than welcome to try,” Anne says, my head nodding.

I stand and walk towards the door where rumbling and pounding is coming from. It’s horrible when you know you’re completely inferior to the person on the opposite side of the door.

My fingers form a fist and I knock on the door, deep thuds heard as the door swings open. I stand small compared to Harry’s huge stature, his green eyes terrifying as he glares at me.