Bulrushing Ahead

I'd rather be anywhere but here. Anywhere.

Harebell middle school.

"Open your science textbooks to page thirty-six and read the first..." Mr. Pines' voice drawled from the front of the dingy classroom. With a long-suffering sigh, I dug into my binder to find the dreaded textbook, sure to suck out my soul the moment I opened it.

My best friend Reed sat by my side, under a window. I didn't envy them; lack of insulation made being near the walls a death sentence.

Something was wrong, though. The longing look in their eyes as they gazed out the window, the way they shuffled in their seat. This wasn't just restlessness.

"Something wrong?" I whispered as I leaned toward them, pretending to drop my pencil.

Their eyes were fixed on an invisible point in the horizon. "I need to get out of here," they murmured.

"There's an hour before lunchtime," I pointed out.

"I need to get out," they repeated feverishly. "I'm trapped here."

I titled my head. "I mean, I get that, but are you okay?"

They shook their heads vehemently. "No. NO. I need to breathe."
"You're definitely not claustrophobic-" I started to say.

"Guess I am now." They stood up and excused themself from class. Mr. Pines didn't even notice.

That doesn't just happen overnight, I thought, watching them leave with furrowed brows. Just yesterday, they were begging me to explore this weird underwater tunnel in the woods. What changed?

What did they find to have such a change of heart and mannerisms?

------------

At last, it was lunchtime, and Reed hadn't returned. They were probably already in the canteen.

Sandwich in hand, I settled on the table with the least amount of stains. I finally spotted Reed on the other end of the table.

I slid towards them. "You alright now?" The canteen was wider than the classrooms, but the smell removed any benefit.

They barely glanced at me. "I guess so."

I unwrapped my sandwich. "Aren't you hungry?"

"I don't know."
"What?" I paused with the sandwich inches from my face. "How do you 'not know'?"

"I just don't." They shrugged helplessly. "I don't know what it should feel like, Tam. What is it?"

I stared at them for a long moment, my eyes darting between them and the single blueberry nutri-grain bar in front of them. An odd choice for Reed. "...alright. Do you feel... uh, discomfort? Around here?" I put my hand on my stomach.

"Yep," the kid across the table said, staring in disgust at the green-brown slop piled high on her tray.

Fair enough. "Reed?"
"Uhh..." they looked down at themself. "I guess...? It feels like there are dull spikes inside me, pushing at random intervals."

"Oooookay. Just eat the bar." I pushed the wrapped bar toward them.

Reed slowly and carefully unwrapped the bar. Then, after watching the other students, pushed the bar into their mouth. They looked at me as if waiting for approval.

"Don't forget to chew," I coached. How have you even lived this long?

They chewed for a long moment, then made a growling noise. "This is pointless," they grumbled through a mouthful of bar.