Chapter Five 》The Boy

Start from the beginning

"Wha' th' hell.." He mumbled as he hit the ground.

"Do you guys want me to make you breakfast, or are you fine with having cereal?" He asked, stepping away from a still half asleep Ben.

"C-Cereal is fine.." The boy muttered, averting his gaze to the floor.

"Okay, well, I'll let you guys make some when you're ready." He said before walking off.

The boy nodded, although he wasn't sure Ben's father noticed. He walked over to Ben, who was still laying on the ground, "Ben, are you awake?" He asked timidly, softly shaking his shoulder.

"Hmm? Oh.. yeah, 'm up." He mumbled, slowly sitting up and scratching his head.

"Uhm, your dad said we could make ourselves some cereal." The boy informed him, watching as Ben stood up, yawning loudly and stretching his arms.

"That sounds good." He nodded, rubbing his eyes, "When do you have to go home, anyways?"

The boy secretly hoped that he never had to go home, but he knew he'd have to, whether he liked it or not, "I think around ten.." He mumbled.

"Damn, you've got to leave pretty soon then, it's already 9:36." He sighed, walking into the kitchen, the boy following after, "Cheerios or Frosted Flakes?" He asked, pulling out two boxes of cereal.

"I'll have Cheerios, please." The boy said, yawning softly.

Ben looked at the boy and smiled softly to himself before he got out two bowls and spoons, setting them on the counter, as well as a carton of milk. He poured a bowl of Cheerios and a bowl Frosted Flakes, filling both with milk after.

He slid the boy the bowl of Cheerios and began to eat his cereal, "Thank you." The boy mumbled, scooping some cereal into his mouth.

"Mmhm." He murmured back, chewing on a spoonful of cereal.

The rest of the breakfast was eaten in comfortable silence, the boy nervously stirring his cereal.

"Looks like it's time to go." Ben yawned, looking over to the clock.

"O-Okay.." The boy nodded timidly, hopping off the stool and following Ben to his room.

He took his clothes and quickly changed out of Ben's pajamas in the bathroom, pulling on his socks and shoes, "Did you bring anything else?" Ben questioned as they began walking towards the car.

"N-No, I don't think so.." He murmured as they got in the car.

"Why are you so nervous all of the sudden?" Ben asked, glancing over at the boy before driving down the road.

"I'm not nervous.. I'm just tired.." He defended softly, trying to hide the fact that his hands were shaking.

"Okay, whatever you say.." He sighed as they pulled up to the house.

"Bye.. See you Monday.." The boy murmured, hopping out of the car.

Ben nodded in response and drove off, leaving the boy alone on the sidewalk.

He turned to face the beautiful house that he so desperately wished to be his. There was a little girl playing in the living room happily. The two parents sat on the couch, watching their daughter lovingly.

The boy sighed softly as he watched the happy family. Remembering a time when his family was like that. When his father would read him bedtime stories and his mom would let him snuggle with her. He felt tears begin to well in his eyes as he remembered what things used to be like. He jumped in alarm when he heard the door open.