Chapter Five 》The Boy

The boy cowered under his blanket as more thunder roared through the house. He hated thunder, it was much too loud for his tastes.Thunder also reminded him of his father's footsteps as they neared him. Just the thought made him want to hide.

No, he did not like thunder at all.

He slowly looked out of blanket when he heard a door being shut. The boy couldn't see anyone, but he was still afraid. He slowly sat up, not wanting to be trapped under the sheets anymore.

He stood up from the comfortable love seat. He didn't really feel tired anymore. The boy looked over to Ben's sleeping form. He wanted to curl up with him, Ben just looked so peaceful.

The boy's thoughts were interrupted by a loud boom of thunder. He stumbled backwards and fell on the floor. He heard someone walking towards the living room, but he was too scared to move.

Soon, a very intimidating form stood in the doorway. The boy scooted backwards, but the figure just came closer. He winced visibly as it towered over him menacingly. He was ready to be hit or yelled at, but neither happened.

"Calm down, I'm not gonna hurt you." The figure, that turned out to be Ben's father, said tiredly.

The boy nodded and stood up nervously, still quite terrified, "S-Sorry.." He breathed, although he wasn't sure that the man heard him.

"You okay?" He asked, to which the boy just nodded.

"Y-Yeah, I just had a nightmare." The boy glanced over to Ben, who was still sleeping soundly on the couch. Ben's father followed his gaze and sighed softly, turning back to the boy.

"Okay, if you need anything, just ask." He said, giving the boy a reassuring gaze.

"O-Okay.." He mumbled in return, the man nodding and walking out of the living room.

The boy laid on the love seat, curling under his blanket as thunder shook the house. He wished the thunder would just go away. It frightened him. He would feel safer if he curled up with Ben, and he wanted to, but Ben probably wouldn't like it. So he just shifted under the sheets and fell into a fitful sleep.

The boy was running, his father close behind. But, no matter how hard he tried he couldn't run fast enough. He felt like his feet were made out of lead.

He looked over his shoulder to see the man reaching out for him, he tried to get away, but it was no use. His father had already closed his huge hands around the boy's neck, squeezing the life out of him.

The boy clawed at his father's hands, struggling to free himself. But, he stilled when his mother appeared in front of him, watching as the man strangled him. The boy called out for her, begging for her to help. But, she just turned away, tears in her eyes.

The boy woke up as he tumbled off of the love seat, gasping for air. He surveyed his surroundings, a feeling of confusion and panic overcame him before he realized he was at Ben's house.

He untangled himself from his sheets, feeling trapped under them. He stood up, trying to stop himself from shaking. The boy noticed that the sun had already risen, and decided to wake up Ben. He walked over to him on shaky legs and tapped his shoulder lightly, but he just grunted in response.

"It's gonna take a lot more than that to wake him up." Ben's father chuckled as he walked in the living room, making Jay whirl around in surprise, "Hey, Ben, wake up!" He shouted, picking up Ben's feet and dragging him off the couch.