Chapter 17. Sticks and Stones

Start from the beginning

Dad holds back a smile as he steps aside, "She's in her room. Michael, you know where that is." He nods his head towards the teenage boy with a smirk. Michael blushed slightly, "Yeah, uh, thanks sir."

The four boys walk inside and follow Michael down the hallway to Y/N's room. Once they were gone, Dad looks at Mom, who was sitting on the couch. "I told you boys would be beating down our door when we moved here, didn't I?"
Mom gives him a soft smile, "Oh D/N, you know those boys are just her friends."

Michael was first to knock on Y/N's bedroom door, "Yo, Y/N, it's Michael." His friends immediately pipe up, "Hey, we're here too!" Chica mask punches Michael's shoulder, Michael gives him a scowl in return, not wanting to make a bad impression on her parents. They were just in the other room, they could still hear everything. And now more than ever he needed to be on their good side. If he even wanted a shot at dating Y/N

Y/N pauses her music when she hears Michaels voice and smiles to herself, "Yeah, come in." She sets down the wash cloth she was using to wipe down her dresser.
The boys walk and immediately they all practically had hearts in their eyes. Michael mentally facepalms at how obvious his friends were being, and decided to speak up to take the attention off them.

"We were about to go hang in the woods for a bit, uh if you wanna come with you can." He attempts to make eye contact with the girl, but fails miserably. His nerves got the best of him, and he often caught his eyes drifting away sheepishly.

"Oh okay, sure. That sounds great." She grabs her phone and puts it in her pocket. "I'm ready to go if you guys are. Cleaning can wait."

On their way out the door, Y/N called a short goodbye to her parents. And now the five teens make their way to the nearby wooded area.
"It's not a far walk." Michael says as he walked beside her, not even being able to look at Y/N directly. Y/N just nodded in return, "Sounds good, it doesn't matter to me either way."

///

The group of teens finally make it to the entrance of the woods. It was down a step hill, it intimidated Y/N slightly. Michael glances over at her and could tell by her expression she didn't want to climb down the hill.
"I know it's steep," Michael began, and held out his arm. "You can hold on to me if you want."

Y/N smiles slightly and nodded, "Thanks, Michael." She holds onto his arm, he just replies with a nonchalant shrug. But in reality, his arm was tingling with excitement. It felt nice to have her grab onto him, he felt special that she was holding onto him for safety; not any of his friends. He got jealous of them quite often when it came to Y/N.

The group begins making their way down the hill, dodging tree branches and stepping over large rocks. Every time Y/N felt like slipping, she held onto his arm tighter. Even times she didn't feel like slipping she would just grab him tighter. As if squeezing his arm would allow her to hold him forever. She cherished every second of this, even if she felt as if Michael hated it. But she was quite mistaken.

Finally, they made it down the hill. And Y/N knew she unfortunately had to let go of Michael's arm. She lets go and takes a moment to look around the scenery in front of her. Large oak tree's, and small hills littered with jagged rocks, it was actually nicer than Y/N expected. There was a seemingly endless dirt trail that eventually would lead to the end of the woods, and a small stream of water was coming from drainage pipes nearby.

"Welp, whattdya' think?" Chica mask comes up from behind Y/N and pats her shoulder. She flinched slightly, not expecting that.
"It's cool down here. Do you guys come here a lot?" They all begin aimlessly walking, but that's what the guys do most times they're down in the woods. Walk around, find cool bugs and rocks, then go home.

"Yeah, pretty often. Heads up!" Bonnie mask grabs the bug spray and tosses it to Y/N, she catches the metal can skillfully and reads the label. "Oh, thanks," she smiles and begins spraying the solution on her legs and arms, "Michael, can you spray the back of me?" She hands Michael the can.

Michael nodded and gestures for her to turn around. Starting from her ankles, he began spraying it up to her hips, then on the back of her arms, and then her neck. Y/N yelps quietly at the cold spray hitting her bare neck. Michael laughs quietly at this, "What was that for, shithead?"

She smiles and chuckles half-heartedly at herself. "I wasn't expecting it, that's all. And who are you calling shithead?" She turns around and points her finger at him playfully, faking offense.

He raised an eyebrow and shifts his gaze between her and her finger pointed at his chest. "You heard me shithead, or is your hearing as bad as your Mario Kart skills?"
"Michael, I literally beat you in Mario Kart multiple times!"
"Irrelevant. You just got lucky."

The two crack up laughing, Y/N shoves him gently. "God, you're such an idiot." She scoff at him. The three guys observe the banter coming from Michael and Y/N. There was no doubt in their mind they liked each other, it was so obvious. They all look between each other, as if they had a conversation with their eyes, then they look back at the two fellow teenagers.

"You guys done yet?" Freddy mask crossed his arms and smirks, "Or do you guys need more time to flirt?"
The two widen their eyes and look at Bonnie mask with defensive stares.
"We're not flirting!" They both say in unison. Y/N's face was turning pink at the accusation, Michael was able to hide his blush more skillfully than Y/N.

The guys begin bursting out laughing, "Okay yeah, whatever you say lovebirds." Freddy mask rolls his eyes at them. To which, they both cross their arms, "We aren't lovebirds." They deadpanned, yet again in unison.

They look between each other with furrowed eyebrows, they didn't mean to do that twice. And it really wasn't helping their case.
But the more Michael stared into her e/c eyes, the more sure he was.
He definitely wanted this girl to be his.