I shuddered, and Tam tentatively put an arm around me. I nodded to show him that it was alright. I could see Biana watching us with an excited look on her face and I rolled me eyes at her.

“Hoods up,” Alvar said. “We need to get to the other side of the river before the workforce wakes up.”

Tam and I blanketed the group with shadows and Linh added hints of mist—though she was surprised at how little control she had over the green fog. Our progress was slowed further by how closely we had to stick together, and how many twists and turns we had to make. The city had no streets or sidewalks, and there was no rhyme or reason to the jagged buildings. If Alvar hadn’t been there to guide them—we followed Calla, since she could see him—we would’ve gone in circles.

Despite the confusing layout, I couldn’t help worrying that things were going too easily. After all we’d heard about the dangers of Ravagog and the efficiency of its security, we hadn’t seen a single ogre. Could everyone really be asleep?

My question was answered when we reached the main bridge: cold metal and dark stones stretching across an enormous canyon. Pointed silver arches were scattered along the bridge, with fiery green orbs in their centers. At either side of the bridge, dozens of lumpy-faced ogres marched back and forth in a careful pattern, their massive barbed swords drawn and ready. I tightened my already tight hold on Tam's hand.

“Does the bridge always have that many guards?” Sophie asked.

“No,” Alvar whispered. “It seems like they’re expecting someone.”

“Us,” Sophie said. “They’re expecting us.”

The air turned colder as the reality settled over us.

I cleared my throat. “So how do we get across?”

“I’m still working that out,” Alvar admitted as he led us behind a stalagmite where we still had a view of the bridge.

“How thick can you make the shadows?” Sophie asked me and Tam.

“Not enough to get past that many guards—especially in this weird green light. And look at the pattern they’re making as they march. There’s no way all nine of us could slip past at the rate we move.” Tam replied. “And the bridge is the easy part,” Dex said, pointing to the other side. In the distance, the other half of the city had been carved into the mountain—a series of dark ledges jutting out of the rockface like bark mushrooms climbing up a tree. Each ledge was lined with metal columns and covered by metal awnings. Stone staircases netted the ledges together and wove around the misty waterfalls cascading down the mountain. But before we could reach the city, we’d have to cross a stretch of empty dust land, without a single tree or rock or shrub to camouflage our shadows. “I could go on my own,” Alvar suggested. “Uh, you’re not the only Vanisher,” Biana reminded him. “And what do we do? Sit here and wait to get caught?” I asked. “We might be able to cross the water,” Linh said. “And then I could call clouds from the waterfalls to obscure our shadows.”

“Can you really control the river?” Tam asked. “That isn’t normal water.” He pointed to the base of the steep canyon, where the river glowed with the same greenish tint as everything else. “The ogres add an enzyme,” Alvar explained. “It makes them stronger, but I’m pretty sure its toxic for everyone else. The gates filter it out before the water flows into the valley.” Everyone turned to Linh, whose brows were pressed together. “I can’t part or lift the water, but . . . there might be a way. I need to get closer.” Alvar found a trail down the sheer slope, and after several precarious minutes—and many near falls—we reached the riverbed and ducked into the shadow of the bridge. “No one can see us here,” Tam promised as Linh moved to the water’s edge. She waved her hands back and forth, whispering strange, swishing words. “Assuming we find a way across,” I said to Alvar, “where exactly are we going?”
“I’m still deciding,” he admitted. “It has to be in either the Armorgate or the Triad. The Armorgate is their military university. It has secret caverns deep in the mountain where they develop their weapons.”
“That sounds impossible to break into,” Sophie said. “It is,” Alvar agreed. “The Triad isn’t any better. That’s where King Dimitar holds court, in the most visible spot in the whole city. His best warriors are always at his side.”

  “That would be a better place for a trap,” I realized. King Dimitar would want something public, so everyone could witness his triumph.
“Our shadows won’t fool the ogres up close,” Tam warned. Sophie nodded. “We’d need a distraction.”

  “I think the Triad should be our focus.” she said.

  “Is she okay?” Dex asked, pointing to where Calla had her ear pressed against the ground, tears streaming down her cheeks.

  Sophie crawled to Calla’s side. “What happened?”

  Seconds ticked by. Then Calla whispered, “I can feel them. The Panakes. They’re still here.”

I glanced down the river, desperate for a glimpse of the miraculous trees. All I saw were dark, barren rocks. “The trees themselves are gone,” Calla whispered. “But traces of their roots remain. I can hear them singing. But I don’t understand . . .” She pressed her ear to the ground again, closing her eyes and humming a melody that felt both heartbreaking and hopeful. “I found a way across!” Linh whisper-shouted. “But I can’t hold it for long.” Everyone rushed to the shore, where Linh raised her foot over the glowing river and stepped down. “Follow my path exactly,” Linh said as the water turned solid under her foot. “And do not lose your balance.” I took a deep breath and followed her. The water felt springy, like standing on a trampoline. Tam followed in my wake, then Biana, Dex, Keefe and Fitz. Sophie coaxed Calla away from the ground and stepped out after her. Alvar was the last to cross, and his feet had barely touched the opposite shore when Linh sank to her knees, her skin as green as the river. “I need a moment to catch my breath,” she said.

A/N: Heys guys. Hope you like this chapter. What do you think of the book so far?