chapter two - reunions

tym gares al leir - time causes all to learn

chapter 02 - reunions

as gevherhan walked through the corridor leading to the golden road, she got flashes of her past. she could practically hear the giggling of her running after selim and mahmoud. she could feel the warm embrace of her grandmother, safiye sultan. she could hear her grandfather, murad, reading his work to her, as her father had also done. most would've dismissed the female sultan. but they knew the importance of having a strong woman behind them. they always knew gevherhan would be the strong woman pulling the strings of the next sultan, and perhaps the one after that. gevherhan was desended from power, and from her birth, they knew. they knew that in the future, she would return to the harem of the sultan, and secure her place, as she was doing now. as she walked closer to sultan ahmed's chambers, two men walked out of the room. both men looked confused to the girl. "where are you going, hatun...?" dervis pasha asked, his voice booming off the stone around them. "i am not a concubine, dervis. tell my brother, the sultan, gevherhan sultan is home." both men's faced fell, as they dropped her heads down to bow. "my apologies, sultana..." her eyes moved from dervis to the man beside him. "and you are...?" the man looked up and smiled. "i am mehmed giray." the sultana nodded, a smile etching onto her face. "hanzade, it is a pleasure. i have heard a lot about you from my brother's letters. i hope you are as loyal as he speaks." dervis bowed to the sultana before going to tell the sultan his sister was home. anastasia stood besides her, a knowing smile on her face. "nasia, i hope we can talk after i settle in more. i will have my ladies call for you when i am able to sit and talk. you may return to the harem" the blonde curtsied, but before she could walk away, gevherhan stopped her. taking a ring off her finger, she handed it over to the girl. "this is a gift from your friend, gevherhan. i hope you too are as loyal as my brother says." dervis walked back into the corador bowing his head. "the sultan is ready for you." she nodded her head back towards anastasia, telling her to withdraw. gevherhan turned back to the two men. "pasha. hanzade. i bid you farewell, for now."