three

chapter three • M

chapter three • M.E. Time

"I'M SO GLAD WE COULD FINALLY do this." Natalie said, smiling at the man sitting across from her at the table. They were sitting in a fancy restaurant, having just received their food.

"I know," he said, "Jenna says you're always stuck at the precinct."

"Yeah." Natalie's face fell as she heard her phone ringing. She picked it up and saw Jake's contact name, "Speaking of, this is work. Sorry."

She pressed accept and pressed the phone to her ear, "What's up, Peralta?"

"Captain called, he needs everyone back. There's a lead on the Nightingale Strangler. We're looking for a white male, 5'10", medium build, brown hair, small scar on his right cheek."

Natalie narrowed her eyes, slowly looking up at her date, "Okay." She forced a smile.

"His M.O. is he finds lonely women with no friends, poisons their food, and then guts them in his van. It's pretty gnarly. Last seen wearing a salmon shirt, grey blazer, and witnesses have said he has trouble fitting lettuce in his mouth."

Natalie frowned as she looked at the man, who was currently shovelling forkfuls of lettuce into his mouth. "Okay, where are you."

"Apparently, he has the worlds smallest penis and doesn't know how to use it." Natalie turned at the sound of Jake approaching, glaring at him.

"Hi there, I'm Jake Peralta, Natalie's boss." Jake shook hands with her date.

"That's not true." Natalie turned to Jake, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here on a date." He said, turning to where he was sat, only to find his own date gone, "Who is now leaving. Worth it." He shrugged, "Have a great night!" He ran away.

"Your boss seems really nice."

"He's not my boss."

"Yes I am!" Jake shouted as he ran through the door.

•••

"With a record five felonies solved in one week, Peralta pulls ahead!" Jake turned from the whiteboard, which now read Peralta: 51, Oswald: 50. "Did you guys hear that I solved five felonies in one week?"

Natalie glared at him as she took a sip from her coffee, "We heard." She deadpanned.

"Really, how?"